PDA

View Full Version : Clean up of blood

craigdvc
02-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Does anyone know if there is a proceedure for the clean up of blood?

Example-Someone getting a nosebleed or hitting their chin/head while diving into the pool.

CarlD
02-27-2007, 10:44 AM
I assume you mean in the pool water.

You want to shock your water up to the recommended shock level for your level of stabilizer (CYA).

I suggest you keep it there for 24-48 hours, to see if the FC stays high AND to ensure you have a CC level of 0.

Essentially, you want to follow the same procedure as for fecal matter in the pool.

If someone has a better or more specific rec, please post it.

Blood on the deck, etc. can be cleaned up with bleach.

waterbear
02-27-2007, 11:42 AM
A .5% solution is what is recommeded for santizing against blood borne pathogens (1 to 10 dilution of ordinary household bleach) according to the course I needed to renew one of my state licenses in Fl. If my math is correct this would be 6000ppm! In light of this I would say that CarlD's advice is on the money. (although I suspect that both Hep B and C and HIV would not survive normal chlorination levels!)

aylad
02-27-2007, 10:20 PM
(although I suspect that both Hep B and C and HIV would not survive normal chlorination levels!)

According to the heads of the Infectious Disease Departments at all three of our local large hospitals, a chlorine level of 3 ppm with 0 CYA will make a pool safe from Hep B,C, HIV. (You'll have to trust me on this one, the ones who have been around the forum for awhile know why I happen to have this information! :) ) When I told them about a suspected contamination in my pool a few years ago, and explained that with a CYA level of 60 I ran my FC up to 30 ppm and held it there for 2 weeks, they all laughed and assured me that my pool was probably the cleanest place there was in the parish, and that none of them would have any problem swimming in it. Granted, it was overkill--they each pointed out that therapy pools in the hospitals have any number of diseased people in them throughout a given week....and nothing special is done to decontaminate, except to maintain a 3 ppm chlorine level on an inside pool.

When cleaning CPR manikins, they require us to use a 10% bleach solution....1/4 C bleach to 1 gallon of water, with a soak time of 10 minutes. So....I agree with the others.....normal chlorination should take care of it!

Janet

CanuckPool
02-28-2007, 11:20 AM
are you the one with the neighbors son incident?

waterbear
02-28-2007, 12:03 PM
When cleaning CPR manikins, they require us to use a 10% bleach solution....1/4 C bleach to 1 gallon of water, with a soak time of 10 minutes. So....I agree with the others.....normal chlorination should take care of it!

Janet
Janet, that iwhatI was talking about when I said a .5%, that would be the strength of household bleach after the dilutiion. In Florida I am required to take Continuing Education hours for both my Barber and my Cosmetology licenses which include HIV/bloodborne pathgen education and also have a yearlybloodborne pathogen class for my job at the school I work at (a residential Deaf and Blind school). In all of these classes they said a dilute (usually 1 to 10) bleach solution is all that is required for sanitizing a blood contamination on a surface (where the blood is intact). It would make sense that where it it much more diluted (by being in 10000 gallons or more of water in a pool) would not take much at all and that normal chlorination would take care of it!

aylad
03-03-2007, 12:16 PM
are you the one with the neighbors son incident?

Yeah, that was me...:D