PDA

View Full Version : CC, necessary to test routinely?

steveinaz
02-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Is it necessary to test combined chlorine everytime I test free chlorine? Could I just test for CC on weekends or when symptoms of cc appear?

Also, while I've got your ear, how does running the filter twice daily for a total 8 hrs (12-4am; Noon-4pm) sound?

...and one more: The "shock" thing...I shock when CC reaches .5ppm or higher/or if I have a algae outbreak, correct?

Watermom
02-17-2007, 11:39 AM
It is not necessary to test for CC every time. On the weekends or if symptoms appear is fine. Actually, if you are consistent with keeping your chlorine at the correct level based on your cya level, you will find that you should seldom have any CC. You are right that you shock when CC reaches .5ppm or higher or if you see signs of algae. The plan for filtering sounds fine. Sounds to me like you have done your homework and have learned a lot about taking care of your pool!

CarlD
02-17-2007, 12:00 PM
However,
If you ARE testing for FC using the FAS-DPD method, it seems silly to me not to test for CC--just add the five drops. If it stays clear, you're done--no CC. If it goes pink again, you KNOW you have some CC and need to add drops till you know how much.

Of course, if you are testing using OTO, then no, it's not necessary to test for CC--that means running the FAS-DPD test anyway...if you are running the FAS-DPD test then you don't need to run the OTO.

steveinaz
02-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Carl, I think you're right...I'm 90% of the way there, why not do it. Thanks.

Watermom
02-17-2007, 04:21 PM
I agree. If you are using FAS-DPD, you might as well. I use OTO much of the time, and that is what I was thinking of when I said that it wasn't necessary to test for CC. It still isn't necessary, but you might as well go ahead and add those extra drops.

CarlD
02-18-2007, 07:26 AM
Carl, I think you right...I'm 90% of the way there, why not do it. Thanks.

Exactly!;)