PDA

View Full Version : Solar Heating Question

mohawk
02-15-2007, 03:44 PM
My husband and I want to heat our pool this year and we were wondering which type of solar heaters really work. Our pool is a 28' round. We also thought of a heat pump but I'm afraid of the electric bill. We already have an increase because of the spa and sub-zero weather lately in Mn. Thanks.:)

RocKKer
02-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Solar heating does work very well. But that is dependent on a few things, amount of sun and exposure (south - best, west or east is good, north is a waste), square footage of panels, pump runtime.

Look here for some info:
http://www.powermat.com/

The above link mostly deals with in-ground pools, so it may not be exactly what you want, because it sounds like you have an above-ground, but it is good backgound info.

Here is some above-ground parts:
http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/abovegroundsolar.htm

CarlD
02-16-2007, 06:43 AM
The great thing about solar is you can set up a system relatively inexpensively. You'll need an area for the panels. It can either be right on the ground or on angled frames--if you have the space. If you get 6 hours or more of direct sunlight, and get 2 4'x20' panels you will see a DEFINITE increase in your water temperature. I actually prefer the panels on the ground and here's why: Over the course of the summer the ground under the panels will be heated. When the sun is no longer shining that warmed ground will continue to transmit heat to the panels. In short, you'll still get warm water for a couple of hours after the sun passes. It's an additional shot of free heat.

It, surprisingly, won't get disgusting under the panels. It will kill any plants under it due to the heat and lack of light, and will dry the ground so when you pick up the panel for the winter you won't see worms and grubs, and won't have the down side covered with slime. It will be hard and dry.

Angled panels or roof panels can save space and may get better exposure, but they do add expense.

If you can do your own plumbing of the panels, you can attach something like this for between $500 and $1000 max and THAT'S ALL! There are no operating costs at all.

It's easy as falling off a log to add additional panels, too.

Best of all, if you find you STILL want a heat pump, you don't have to remove the solar system--it just becomes another add-on. You can use the solar on sunny days and use the heat pump at night and when it's overcast.

Heat pumps are supposed to be VERY cost effective--they cost less to run than gas, but have a bad rep from being used inappropriately as combo heat/AC units in houses in parts of the country where they shouldn't have been. But in spring and summer temps, they are VERY efficient.