PDA

View Full Version : Buying an above ground pool!

jdogg
04-20-2006, 12:31 PM
any suggestions an what type, what brand? Is Sharkline a good investment?

IMherDad
04-20-2006, 02:44 PM
The only suggestion I would have is to look around if some dealers are close to you. Talk to them and ask them for some customers names and see what they have to say.

I wasn't sure if you were going to do the work yourself or not.

If you are not paying cash then see if they offer 6 or 12 months no interest and maybe no payments.

Take your time and enjoy the process.

ShelleyAnn
04-21-2006, 10:43 AM
So far, I have been very pleased with the prices and customer service from Difinitive Pools, an on line company at http://www.definitivepools.com/above_ground_pools_main_menu.html . Beverly there has been awesome and their prices CANNOT BE BEAT. Believe me I tried. I had some prices locally that were close, but after adding tax and delivery, not very close. They sell mostly Cantar and Delair, but are rolling out a sister web site: http://www.bestpricedpool.com/index.php?qty=&sub= that has some other options. You will not be able to beat their prices. We purchased the Atlantc Empire 30 x 15 a few weeks ago and it came with a 50 yr warranty (hopefuly I will not find out if it is worth the paper it is printed on).

Once you decide on buttress/buttress free, steel/resin/aluminum, size of uprights, size of top rail, color...direction of the wind that day, you should do your shopping here.

Shelley

CarlD
04-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi. Lotsa questions for you to help you find what is right for you. There is no "best" or "worst" (well, maybe a worst....). There are your needs and how they are met.

Is this your first pool? Have you handled pool maintenance before? It's not hard, but you do have to know the rules--and pool stores will give you a load of hooey, even when well-intentioned.

Are you looking for lapping, play, dunking to cool off while sunning? Just a few people or giant parties? All these things determine what is right for you.

The BIGGEST problems with A/G pools are:
1) Having a solid, level site
2) Having a solid, level site
3) Having a solid, level site

That's going to be the biggest cost, depending on your needs.

You may have to run electricity--and it has to be according to code., You'll need to be able to secure the pool--fencing or locking steps.

Our first pool was a little Intex EasySet inflatable donut--15' across, 3' feet deep. I had to build a level platform. I used rock we had torn off our fireplace, rubble, and topped it off with 6" of sand. We used it for 3 years, very happily, while I learned pool maintenance--this site, PoolForum.com, made the 2nd and third years MUCH easier and happier.

Our son was 5--it was perfect for play. Here's a secret: If you want to float around in a lounge chair, in the water, listening to music or a ball game, with a nice cool drink and shades, you can do that in a 15' EasySet just as nicely as you can in a fancy 40' long pool. Been there, done that. You need other reasons to justify a bigger pool!

If you want to just dunk and cool off, the little pool works just as well. Our EasySet is retired now, we are opening our 4th season with our 16'x40' FantaSea built into our deck, but the EasySet doesn't owe us a DIME! We even bought it early, when it was still only a mail-order item and cost far, FAR more than they do now.

That's my opinion.

prh129
04-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Talk with your friends or neighbors that have a pool. Find out if there were any problems along the way and how the store handled them. Even if you don't get a recommendation, you may find out who to avoid. The same goes for installers too (unless you plan on doing it yourself). If the store has a good reputation then odds are good that their recommended installer will be good too.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable purchasing something like this on-line unless I could go and see it in person to check it out. Even then, how easy will it be to deal with a problem even if it is covered under warranty? At least if the store is local (and reputable) that should make service issues easier. They can also help you with little things like getting up to speed with operating and maintaining the filter and pump (which isn't a big deal but helpful if you never owned a pool before).

I just got a Doughboy 24' round. It seems like a quality pool and the company seems to have a good reputation.

Here's a link to check out:

http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/above_ground_problems.html

Good luck.

Peter

NWMNMom
04-21-2006, 09:43 PM
We purchased ours at ProPools.com. They carry both the Cantar brand and a whole line of pools mfg by Wil-Bar (they make Sharkline too). We don't have it set up yet so can't say if its great or not (we have to wait for road restrictions to be lifted before our fill can come to level area) The customer service has been good so far - shipping was fast and included in price. Prices for that quality of pool are comparable or better than many, there are no hidden fees, charges, etc. Price seen is price paid. They had a good rep on BetterBusinessBureau Online as well as the regular BBB for brick and mortar store. Thats all I know so far.

lauriefree
04-24-2006, 11:35 AM
I have just discovered FantaSea and their solar deck. We, too, are interested in the add-a-deck pool. Do you have your pool yet? Anything you can tell me about the company, customer service, shipping, the pool, installation, price, etc. would be really appreciated.

CarlD
04-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Our Fanta-Sea Add-a-Deck is going into its 4th season. You can find pics in the "What does your pool look like?" thread.

Island Pools has been very honorable and has stood behind their product. Installation, though, is not a job for the faint-hearted, especially the longer pools. The long girders on my 40'x16' are close to 900 lbs each! You'll need at least 10 strong guys to pick each up--or rent a BobCat (That's what I had to do).

Building it into an exisiting deck is tough because it's hard to get straight EXACTLY how much below the deck the site should be. I ended up having to compensate for it being about an inch higher. Since the town required me to put the fence between the existing deck and the pool, it worked out OK.

Here are the problems I have had:
1) Their best installer is a contractor for them, and while he knows the pools extremely well, he's rather difficult and has lousy client manners. But he knows the pools well, and structurally it's perfect.
2) His sidekicks who did the plumbing did a terrible job and it started leaking immediately. Do not let them use TigerFlex with interior barbed fittings and hose clamps. TigerFlex MUST be used with Schedule 40 glue-on fittings. It should not be a big deal--glue-ons are actually easy as pie to use and they don't cost a lot--and they don't leak. The solar panel connections leaked and Island Pools ended up sending me a full set of extra clamps to double clamp them, which worked. I re-did the main plumbing myself and it's much better.
3) The liner failed 10 days after the install--a bad liner from the factory, not a bad install. Island Pools worked with the liner company to set up a new liner, and a local installer to install the new liner. IP paid for the replacement water.
4) Panels occasionally leak. IP has replaced them for free.

The system works. However, I have found it to work MUCH better by dividing the panels into two separate groups. I have a tee and two valves, one for the NW group, and one for the SE group. Each has its own return at the far end of the pool. Each can be turned on independently, so only the ones in the sun are running, or both together, which flows FAR more water with less resistance than the factory setup. I've talked to them about this and suggested they implement it--If I spent $50 on the extra fittings that's a lot...

Ours is a custom size--32x16 and 40x20 or 40x12 are standard. We have 40x16--not a big deal for them. The liner is custom cut and has a 5 1/2 foot deep end. Despite the issues, we love it. It's hard to tell it's not an IG as we use it as one.

Watermom
04-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Whatever you decide to buy, buy the biggest size that you can afford and that you have space for. Nobody ever says they wish they had bought a smaller pool but many people (me included) wish they had gotten a larger one.

Watermom

lauriefree
04-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Carl, Thanks for the pictures and the information. Your pool and deck look great. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few more question.

As for the solar deck, since it is just about surrounded by fence, doesn't that kind of encroach on the sun the deck receives? I know there are legal and safety considerations regarding fencing. We do not have a deck at all, and I wonder how we could design one that wouldn't throw too much shade on the panels.

Do you think the money you paid for a solar pool is comparable or better (less) than installing some solar panels separately?

Is the deck the only form of heat you use? It would be so great not to depend on anything else, but I'm probably a couple hundred miles north of you (in the Albany NY area.) I like warm water, hate polluting emissions and paying for fossil fuels.

Does Island pools have a local presence for you, or did you deal with them via the internet and phone? Will they recommend an installer in my area, do you think?

thanks so much.

laurie

CarlD
04-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Carl, Thanks for the pictures and the information. Your pool and deck look great. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few more question.

I don't mind. Wow! Chock full of GREAT questions!

As for the solar deck, since it is just about surrounded by fence, doesn't that kind of encroach on the sun the deck receives? I know there are legal and safety considerations regarding fencing. We do not have a deck at all, and I wonder how we could design one that wouldn't throw too much shade on the panels.

Actually, it doesn't encroach as much as you would think, but it's perceptive to pick up on it--I wish I had thought of it and I might have changed the design a little.

However, since my pool is basically an east/west alignment, the north run gets full sun most of the day--that's a 44' length. Most of the day the west end gets good light, too, but it's passing by mid afternoon. Around noon, the east end comes into its own, and later in the day the south run also steps up.

However, were I to do it again, I would extend the decking east and west to move the fence away and give me more space inside the fence--it wouldn't be solar panel, just decking. I intend, this year, next year or the year after ( :rolleyes: ) to extend the east end.

But despite that, here in North Central NJ, the water hit 96 degrees last summer and we usually are swimming by May 1 or the following weekend, and swim clear through Sept. If Sept is sunny we can go the whole month but it usually starts raining again. Still, I close around Oct 1. I do use a solar cover as well--I have a 16mil transparent that insulates really well.

As I said, I have divided the system in half: North West and South East so I can control them both, and when they are all full on, I get nearly double the flow. Also I have a couple of panels leaking and I'm waiting for IP to send me new ones. So rather than struggle to drain them, I'm only running the NW section which has no leaks. We've had cold nights into the low 40's and a lot of rain the last few days so the water is only 69-70--too cold!

Do you think the money you paid for a solar pool is comparable or better (less) than installing some solar panels separately?

Frankly, no. Rollable solar panels lying on the ground would be MUCH cheaper. The decking is the same surface area as 3 4'x20' panels. I have 30 2'x4' deck panels--even at the reduced rate of $50 per panel I have over $1500 in deck panels, plus hoses and clamps. It's comparable to a permanent roof-mount system, but not the rollables.

But the benefits are: invisibility--no ugly panels to find space for or to mount. A COOL deck--all that water flowing keeps 'em cool--and my split system is cooler than stock. Easy to fix: I can replace most any panel but the ones where the stairs mount in 15-30 minutes, max.

But the main thing is my wife wouldn't tolerate most AG pools, nor solar panels all over. This pool works like an in-ground but gets taxed like an above ground.

Is the deck the only form of heat you use? It would be so great not to depend on anything else, but I'm probably a couple hundred miles north of you (in the Albany NY area.) I like warm water, hate polluting emissions and paying for fossil fuels.

Yes, the panels and the solar cover are it. I did have the electrician run 240v 40amp cable from the circuit box to the wall nearest the pool, so if I want to put in a heat pump I can. I won't do gas.

In your area, summers are shorter (went to college at Binghamton, my brother went to Union, so I'm somewhat familiar with it.) Your heating problem will be in early June and after Labor day, not July and August.

Does Island pools have a local presence for you, or did you deal with them via the internet and phone? Will they recommend an installer in my area, do you think?

I dealt with them by I'net and phone. Since they ARE expensive pools, plus my site prep was expensive (not to mention all the cedar I bought for the railing and gate), we figured it would be worth it to fly up there to see the pools first-hand. So one spring Sunday I flew to Buffalo, rented a car, and drove up to Grand Island. They gave me the grand tour and I ended up buying a pool--but not until AFTER I had my building plans approved by the town.

Finding a local installer may be a problem, but their contract installer is a lot closer to you than he is to me--he's between Syracuse and Buffalo. I suggest you talk to IP about pools they have sold in your area...they are better informed on that than I am.

It's really funny that I bought a pool designed and built in Grand Island, New York, located between Buffalo and Niagra Falls! That reminds me: Their climate is VERY similar to yours--I think that's why the solar pool was so popular up there.

But I think you are also asking if I would buy this pool again. Yes, I would--and knowing now what I know I would handle the plumbing differently, too.

Hope this helps.

huskerfan
04-27-2006, 02:58 AM
I actually had bought a Sharkline AG pool, but sold it and purchased the one I have now, mainly because the lifetime warranty was "prorated/limited". So basically it didn't have a real lifetime warranty. I went with an Echo Canyon made by Artesian from the Pool Place in Chatanooga TN. The quality is awesome and it's a gorgeous pool/liner, and has an actual lifetime warranty on everything except the liner! Truthfully, I think the most important part, like CarlD said - above brands... is getting your ground level no matter what type of pool you have. His post is awesome too- about how you plan to use your pool.

Unfortunately our local pool stores didn't carry anything I liked, and were priced twice as high, so I purchased off the internet. What isn't bought off the internet nowdays?? Also - they didn't like my choice of filter, chemicals... and were quite rude with comments about them, so they truthfully didn't deserve my business anyway. I'm all for shopping locally, but there are exceptions to every rule. It's a big investment - research and get what you want, you're buying it for longterm!

rustin
04-27-2006, 10:35 PM
We are also buying a pool soon and have a few questions.

I am really concerned about the filter and pump combination after stumbling across this site, thank goodness! Please let me know what you think about this combo and the pool itself as far as quality goes.

We are looking at the Desert Spring 32' round made by Doughboy. This package includes:

1. 20 mil exp solid blue liner
2. PPII 2 h.p. pump
3. MM1900 sand filter (250 lbs. sand)
4. Classic DLX Skimmer
5. Pump base
6. A-frame ladder
7. Pool cove
8. Zap Zit
9. Vac hose, vac head, skimmer net, wall brush, 8' to 16' telepole
10. Start up chemicals
11. Enhanced liner warranty

The price for this kit is $5980 out the door. We were initially looking
at a 28' but decided to get the biggest available. We have 5 kids from
9 to 15 yrs. and durability and size are big factors.

Please help us to make a sound investment. Thanks so much for your help!

Rustin

prh129
04-28-2006, 12:01 PM
I just got a 24' Desert Spring. From my research Doughboy has been around for a long time and they seem to have a quality product. I like the look of the Desert Spring and it seems pretty substantial in terms of quality. The cost of my package was around 3100.00 which came with the Madrid liner (doesn't have the expandable bottom), no pool cove or Zap Zit or other chemicals but pretty much the rest of the stuff you listed. I got a cartridge filter but they also offered a sand option. Although you are looking at a bigger pool, it seems expensive as it was only $300 difference between a 21' and a 24'. I actually bought the pool last year on layaway so I'm sure prices went up since last year.

You might want to go to the Doughboy website and find another dealer in your area to get a price comparison.

Good luck!

Peter

huskerfan
04-28-2006, 03:13 PM
If you're having concerns about the pump/filter combo, or plan to use the three B's for your chemicals; bleach, borax and baking soda, you might consider buying just a pool and the components separately. I think most people run a 2 speed pump/ depending on what your setup is.

I'm really impressed with the quality of our Echo Canyon by Artesian. I purchased it from the Pool Place in Chatanooga. I have an 18x34 oval, but another forum member: gwrace1 (hope I have that right), just bought their 33' round. Good luck!

csevel
04-28-2006, 03:33 PM
I have the Echo Canyon 18' round...but don't have it up yet...:mad:

rustin
04-28-2006, 07:18 PM
I had the same kind of luck with the pool dealer as Husker fan. I went to a different dealer to get a price comparison and the price was about $800 dollars lower at first but then when I asked for a fax of what we discussed he stuttered and said "Well this price doesn't include the liner or shipping or ...".
Sounds like a low ball get you in the door and let me work you over kinda deal. Then when I asked the initial dealer about changing up the pump and filter she seemed to get frustrated and gave me the " Ive been doing this for 25 yrs and I know what Im talking about" and proceeded to tell me this was a
"package deal" so the price would not differ much if I bought without their pump and filter.

Its very frustrating to me, I mean are people doing so good these days that they dont have to " sell you". This is by no means a necessity and I would think they would be willing to do what it takes to make the sale.

Im leaning more towards the Artesian pools now and have submitted a request for
quotes on their round pools. They have a 36' pool! WOW! I thought the 32' was as big as they made em.

Thanks for your repies and I would still appreciate advice and opinions.

What a great forum!

Rustin

CarlD
04-28-2006, 08:15 PM
I'd be leery of a 2hp pump on ANY AG pool. Even an up-rated is probably too much pump and will burn electric like crazy. The bigger 250# filter isn't a problem. If the 2hp is 2 speed, to my mind it would make more sense.

tbelle
04-28-2006, 11:05 PM
I'd be leery of a 2hp pump on ANY AG pool. Even an up-rated is probably too much pump and will burn electric like crazy. The bigger 250# filter isn't a problem. If the 2hp is 2 speed, to my mind it would make more sense.

I'm also looking to purchase a pool soon. The dealer here offers a Hayward 1.5 a 2hp pump depending on the pool size. I was told by someone who replaced a 2hp pump for someone, that when it was "opened, inspected" it was actually labeled a 1.5hp ??? Has anyone ever actually checked this??? The pool salesman also argued with me that you absolutely need the 2hp. I told him if I bought a pool, that I would want the 1.5hp and even my husband and the electrician next door said "you need the 2hp for more turnover" ?? The electrician neighbor said, "I deal with pumps all day long at a chemical plant and I know what I'm talking about". It seems that they are leaning more towards turnover versus lower electric bill. :confused: