PDA

View Full Version : What size sand filter and pump?

sisie5
04-20-2006, 08:24 AM
Hello all,can anyone tell me what size sand fllter and pump I need.I have a ABG 18X33 oval.some one told me that I need at least 200 lb sand filter.they said the bigger sand filter the less cleaning I would have to do.please help
thanks

CarlD
04-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Yup, You can always go bigger.

I would not go bigger (as a ballpark guess) than a 3/4hp pump--even a 1/2hp should be enough. It may take longer to turn over your water, but the cost per turnover will be far less.

With the Hayward 210 sand filter (200#) you can run it up to 1hp (full-rated) but it will work better at lower pressures. I have that unit with a 2 speed 1hp full-rated pump and it DEFINITELY filters better on the low speed.

You CAN be OK with a 150# filter, but definitely don't go higher than 3/4hp up-rated--I believe 3/4hp full-rated is too much.

It's VERY important that the pump NOT be rated higher than the filter for gallons per minute. HP in a pump is not as useful as HP in a car engine. Too much can damage your filter and burns a lot of electric.

Do not get talked into a 1 1/2 or 2hp pump--it gets you nothing but a damaged filter and high electric bills.

Those more expert can give you more detailed guidance than I can, but the parameters won't change.

sisie5
04-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Just purchased a Jacuzzi 1.0 HP 2 SP pump at a yard sale,and a Jacuxxi model # 160L This holds 140 lbs if sand,also got a Swimpro sand filter 100 lbs.I think I got a bargin.at 75.00.Now here is whats on the swimpro label
working roessure is 50 psi,1.86 ft rate 25 GPM/FT,Filter and backwash 47 GPM,Question which one of the filters will work best with the pump and give me a better filtering.thanks

b2001
04-20-2006, 10:16 PM
I've got the same question, but I'm wanting to convert from a cartridge filter to a sand filter. I'm being told to use a Hayward 210 or 240 sand filter which I don't have a problem with. My pool is 18 x 36 or so - 14,000 gallons - above ground, also. I have an existing Purex Triton Maxim pump - part number 39908690 with an AO Smith BN35 motor. It is marked "HP 2.0 SPL" but a parts list indicates that the motor is 1 hp.

I also want to go to a 1/2 or 3/4 hp pump/motor, but I'm being told that "above ground" and "standard" pumps are not exactly equivalent - that, say, a standard 3/4 hp pump that would be used on an in ground pool is really equivalent to an above ground pool 1-1/2 hp pump. In other words, the 1-1/2 above ground pump is ideally matched to the 210 or 240 sand filter ...

A couple of pool catalogs that I've gotten in the mail only offer 1-1/2 pumps for that size sand filter on the combo units.

What size pump do I really have, and if it is oversized - what size above ground pump - pentair or hayword - do I need to go to for maximum efficeincy and cost savings? Thanks ....

CarlD
04-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Wow, you're pushing my knowledge--our mech expert (Poconos) and the pool dealers should be able to help you.

You can also call Hayward. I didn't get a "set", so I called Hayward and found that their t210 (top mount valve) and their SuperPump 1hp 2speed were, they said, a fine combo, even though they aren't paired and you don't get a base. Hasn't been a problem--24" pavers make a fine base--I don't even bolt the pump down. I run it on low most of the time and never have a problem.

So call Hayward, call your pump manufacturer. Ask the folks who make them.

b2001
04-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the response, Carl. I haven't called any manufacturers yet. In the short term, I'm going with the pump I have now. I incorrectly listed its size above - the motor is 1 1/2 hp.

I was real interested in the two speed pumps, but at least Hayward's are all 230 volt - I've got 115 volt.

The Raddish
04-22-2006, 06:26 PM
I am by no means an expert, but personally, I am going to be using the pump and filter recommended on this page (http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/above_ground_problems.html) of www.poolsolutions.com. Specifically, this paragraph:
A combination that will work fairly well for almost ALL above ground pools -- regardless of pool size -- is a 1/2 HP Hayward "Super" pump (mfg. model #SP2600X5), a 22" Hayward "PRO" sand filter (mfg. model #SP220T), a Hayward 1.5" "Vari-Flo" multiport valve (mfg. model #SP071113), and a cord set (#SPX1550WA [25 ft long] or #SPX1250 [6 ft long]). 1999 list price on this combo is $764.00. Any pool dealer in the US or Canada can sell this combination to you. You'll also need hoses, connectors and . . . 250 pounds of filter sand. Make absolutely certain that the sand comes in bags that are factory labeled as filter sand, and make sure that the pump and filter have exactly the model numbers shown above. This combination can be used either as original equipment, or to replace what you've got now.
I've already purchased the filter, but I will be using my 1hp AG pump for a little while longer. I think it is on it's last leg anyway, so I'll likely replace it with Ben's recommended pump later this summer. I got the pump here (http://www.onlinepoolsupply.net/pool-filters/haywardproseries-s220t.htm) for $247 shipped, which is easily more than $100 less than anywhere locally. It shipped out of Florida and arrived at my door two days later in pristine condition.

b2001
04-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the link. I trying to convert from baquacil to chlorine and from a cartridge filter to a sand filter, so I've been doing a lot of reading lately. Sonehow missed the above referenced article.

At least my electrical is worked out. Good luck on your electrical although sounds like you got it under control.

Aranon
04-23-2006, 04:22 PM
B2001
Why are you switching from a cartridge to a sand system. I can't decide which one to get. I was wondering why the switch. I have heard that cartridge filters do not do well with baquacil sytems and are really designed for chlorine systems.

I was just wondering why the change. I would hate to buy a Cartridge system and then be unhappy with it and want to change later.

Aranon

b2001
04-23-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm under several oak trees. Rains really mess up my pool - I get a lot of organic crap from the trees into my pool. So I can go from a pristine pool to a cloudy murky pool in a matter of a few hours after a rain, even with maintaining my chemicals and proactive shocking.

I'm very proactive with cleaning out my cartridges - when the pressure starts rising, I remove the filter, seperate it from the cartridge, and thoroughly wash it down inside and out with a pressure nozzle on my hose. As time goes by, pressure will rise more quickly, and I'll have to wash it more often. As this happens, it takes longer and longer to recover from a rain. I've noticed that if I leave a fllter out to dry for several days, it improves in performance some - so I always have at least two filters on hand.

I started using a skimmer basket sock last summer - it catches a lot of crap that thereby does not make it to the filter. However, it must also be continuously cleaned up or it will clog. A lot of times, it has a complete layer of "orange-brown" sludge - baquacil "goo".

With maintaining my chemicals, vacuming, scrubbing the sides of my pool weekly, and maintaining the cartridge filters as mentioned above, I can get my pool most of the way to "pristine".

However, I can't get it completely there. It could be that bacquacil and cartridges don't do well together - it does appear that baquacil precipitates out and the cartridges filter this finer "goo" out, while the sand might let it pass. Also, my trees and storms might come into play. After spending $300 to $350 a year on cartridge filters (2 to 3), I'm wanting to make a change to see how that goes.

As I said in another thread, I believe that I'm going to buy a sand filter and hook it up in parallel to my cartridge and run the sand most of the time and the cartridge for final poslishing - I'll end up only buying one cartridge filter a year and in a couple of years will have paid for the sand filter.

You might not have the above issues if you're going to use chlorine and you're not under a bunch of trees. I hope this helps some ...

CarlD
04-23-2006, 09:53 PM
If you have to buy a cartridge filter every year one of 3 things is wrong:
1) Your cart is too small for your pump.
2) You are maintaining your cart incorrectly, or
3) Your situation is not good for carts, they are being destroyed despite correct sizing and maintenance and you should switch to sand or DE.

As much as I would dread having a cart, I am aware that the cartridges are not intended to be replaced every year and should not have to be.

b2001
04-23-2006, 11:38 PM
1. As I said before - 18 x 36, 14,000 gallon ag pool withPurex Triton Maxim pump, AO Smith BN35 motor (1-1/2 hp), it is marked "HP 2.0 SPL", and a Pentex 150 sq ft cartridge filter. How is this combo?

2. I'm not sure what I would be doing to maintain the cartridge incorrectly. I thoroughly wash it down many times during the course of a summer as the pressure rises. I usually have two on hand that I will swap out every week or two.

3. That could be the case, although the cartridges are not actually "destroyed". I've got three sitting around from last year. They just become ineffective and I can't get my water clear after a rain. The pressure will rise, I'll remove the cartridge and clean it, and when I reinstall it and start the system, the pressure shoots back up high.

I really feel like last year was the first time that I got a good handle on chemicals, scrubbing, and scrubbing and getting the pool clean. It was still not 100%, but close. However, it would take longer and longer to recover from each successive storm to the point where these cartridges were just not working right, and pool quality kept going down.

I'm definitely switching from baquacil - I'm reading everything on this site that I can ...

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks for your responses, Carl ...

CarlD
04-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Try soaking the ineffective carts in Cascade automatic dishwasher detergent, the powder. If that doesn't work, try soaking them in Muriatic Acid--what have you got to lose if they are clogged anyway?

Switching over from Bacq may be your best answer. Be prepared with lots and lots and lots of chlorine...I'd suggest getting the 5 gallon carboys of 12% from the pool store--there's usually a deposit on the carboy, but you only pay it once. I'd get two and as one was empty I'd get a replacement--it may cost a little more (maybe not--depends on prices) but disposal becomes a non-issue.

Normally, I'd say just buy the bleach, but with the amounts you'll need for the switch, the carboys may make life MUCH easier. Besides, if you can get 12% for $15, that's like getting 10 gallons of Ultra bleach for $15.--$1.50/gallon. Around here, Ultra is now running $1.80/gallon (.45/quart).

I only said that those are the possible reasons for your yearly purchases.

I have never understood the attraction of Bacquacil, or Bromine.

b2001
04-24-2006, 11:37 PM
I only said that those are the possible reasons for your yearly purchases.

Sorry, if I came across wrong, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of my issues - I've had some frustrating times in the past.

I have never understood the attraction of Bacquacil, or Bromine.

New pool owner ignorance coupled with advice from the pool dealer - if I only knew then what I know now...

What I heard from the dealer was that baquacil would not have that chlorine smell, and would be easy to use - which sold me. I didn't hear anything about a lot higher costs, etc. Bottom line is I really didn't do my homework - but other than this forum, most of the information out there seems to be provided by pool chemical product manufacturers and pool supply dealers. I guess there's no substitue for experience.

I've done the muriatic acid thing - too messy, and not enough of a benefit that I could see.

I had never heard of a carboy - I'll check with a pool place tomorrow. Looks like that's what I need. My baquacil was at 50 ppm last week. I emptied my pool down to 16" and refilled it back up and it seems to be down to from 0 to 15 ppm. I'm hoping that will reduce the mess during conversion.

CarlD
04-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Sorry, if I came across wrong, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of my issues - I've had some frustrating times in the past.

Not a problem.

New pool owner ignorance coupled with advice from the pool dealer - if I only knew then what I know now...

Been there, done that. So have most of us....

What I heard from the dealer was that baquacil would not have that chlorine smell, and would be easy to use - which sold me. I didn't hear anything about a lot higher costs, etc. Bottom line is I really didn't do my homework - but other than this forum, most of the information out there seems to be provided by pool chemical product manufacturers and pool supply dealers. I guess there's no substitue for experience.

Makes used car salesmen look good, don't they?

I've done the muriatic acid thing - too messy, and not enough of a benefit that I could see.

I had never heard of a carboy - I'll check with a pool place tomorrow. Looks like that's what I need. My baquacil was at 50 ppm last week. I emptied my pool down to 16" and refilled it back up and it seems to be down to from 0 to 15 ppm. I'm hoping that will reduce the mess during conversion.

A carboy is just a name for the 2.5 and 5 gallon reusable blue jugs they use to sell liquid chlorine. You give a deposit on the jug, but you can either get it back, or trade the empty--like a deposit bottle...