PDA

View Full Version : Opening AG Pool

Ken S
01-30-2007, 06:03 PM
In order to avoid a repeat of last year (the water was so algae-filled for late May opening I had to drain) I want to open my AG pool as early as possible--especially after an unseasonably warm fall and early winter in NJ.
If I start the filtering process in April/May should I do so with the cover still on or just open the pool and wait for the warm weather.

Watermom
01-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Either way is OK, although if you uncover it, you'll use more chlorine. Around here, there are lots of flowering trees that drop a LOT of stuff into the pool in the spring. So, if my pool is uncovered, it makes a big mess. As long as you test the water when the water starts to warm up, you can keep algae at bay regardless of whether the pool is covered or not.

I always forget if we want the groundhog to see his shadow or not, but which ever way means early spring, that's what I'm hoping for!!

CarlD
01-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Since I, too, live in the Garden State (our state flower is Poison Ivy, and our state bird is the Greenhead Mosquito), I start working to open my pool mid-April. I use a solar cover which gets full of junk but I hose it off as I'm rolling it up. Some junk gets in the pool but I can get it out quickly. Since I have solar heating, my goal is to be swimming by the first weekend in May. We don't always make it, but by mid May we are always swimming.

Keeping your pool covered isn't a bad idea, but it may be harder to clean the winter's junk out, which I like to do.