PDA

View Full Version : Best Cartridge Filter System w/2 speed pump

Aranon
04-20-2006, 07:35 AM
Any thoughts on who has the best Cartridge Filter system in a 150 sq. ft. with a 1.5 hp, 2 speed pump. I am ordering a 18' x 40' pool and would like to try a cartridge system but can't find many online with 2-speed pump motors.

I did fint a Pentair Clean & Clear with Optiflo pump, 150 sf. 1.5 hp, 2 speed, Model number 5626800 but can't find a price on it anywhere. Found on Pentair website.

Surley Hayward or Sta Rite makes one.

Other question, who make the best cartridge filter system.

Thanks,
Aranon

Aranon
04-22-2006, 06:54 PM
So does anyone use a Cartridge Filter system. I thought they were supposed to be better than sand?
Aranon

b2001
04-22-2006, 09:09 PM
I have a cartridge system. This will be my fourth season. I'm going to convert to a sand filter as soon as I go thru a baquacil to chlorine conversion.

A cartridge filter does filter out finer particles than a sand filter does. My experience has been that cartridge filters work real well when they are new. However, it does not take very long for them to quit working as effectively. This might be more a function of baquacil than chlorine as baquacil is known to clump up as "goo" on the filter. I even use the skimmer basket socks to minimize junk getting to the filter.

I've not had any luck in "acid" cleaning the filters to remove the "goo" - its an environmental mess and it's never been effective. The filters are expensive to replace - my local dealer is selling them for about $170 although I have usually got them in the past thru mail order for $90 to $120. I've averaged 2 to 3 a season. I've washed the filters down quite often, from daily to maybe every 3rd to 4th day - again more often as the filter has gotten older or after a heavy rain - I'm under several oak trees - to clear the pool up over several days.

I've never had much luck in getting my pool 100% clear - maybe at the most 90% or so, so I'm going to try a sand filter. I'll keep the cartridge as an alternative for maybe fine tuning, and let the sand filter do the majority of the work. Others might have different experiences.

waterbear
04-22-2006, 09:30 PM
I have a cartridge system. This will be my fourth season. I'm going to convert to a sand filter as soon as I go thru a baquacil to chlorine conversion.

A cartridge filter does filter out finer particles than a sand filter does. My experience has been that cartridge filters work real well when they are new. However, it does not take very long for them to quit working as effectively. This might be more a function of baquacil than chlorine as baquacil is known to clump up as "goo" on the filter. I even use the skimmer basket socks to minimize junk getting to the filter.

I've not had any luck in "acid" cleaning the filters to remove the "goo" - its an environmental mess and it's never been effective. The filters are expensive to replace - my local dealer is selling them for about $170 although I have usually got them in the past thru mail order for $90 to $120. I've averaged 2 to 3 a season. I've washed the filters down quite often, from daily to maybe every 3rd to 4th day - again more often as the filter has gotten older or after a heavy rain - I'm under several oak trees - to clear the pool up over several days.

I've never had much luck in getting my pool 100% clear - maybe at the most 90% or so, so I'm going to try a sand filter. I'll keep the cartridge as an alternative for maybe fine tuning, and let the sand filter do the majority of the work. Others might have different experiences.

Your problem with cartridge filters are more biguinde related than anything else. In a chlorine pool they work very well! (and a monthly hosing off is all that is usually necessary)
Acid washing is only to remove scale from the filter. It will cause organics to harden on the cartridge and make it useless. A filter cleaner ($pecial ones for biguinide) or TSP solution or a bleach solution (NOT for biguinide!) will get the organics off and if there is scale on the cartridge an acid wash will then cause it to bubble away.

Aranon
04-23-2006, 01:21 PM
So Waterbear, If I understand you right, a Cartridge System works fine on a standard clorine pool and should be better than a Sand Filter. I don't know which one to get?

waterbear
04-24-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm not saying that. There are tradeoffs between the three types of filters. In a perfect world a cartridge filter will give you cleaner water but it is a bit more work and expense to maintain than sand. You have to decide for yourself how much time and money you want to invest in keeping your filter running. Be aware that some townships have outlawed all but cartrige filters because of the run off water from backwashing so some folks don't have a choice anymore. All three type of filters work well and all have been in use for a long time with proven track records. I have been very happy with cartridges and the views expressed above are only my opinions! ;)

If you keep up with YOUR filter maintenance any filter that you choose should work fine. If you neglect it any filter will have problems.

As far as facts go I can tell you only this:
Sand will filter to about 60 microns
Cartridge will filter to about 20 microns
DE will filter to about 6 microns.

Filter care and maintenance is much more subjective. Some people find that cleaning a cartridge is a big chore. Some people find that maintaining a DE filter is too much work too. Sand is definately the winner when it comes to maintenance but then you have the backwash water to deal with. Same for DE as far as backwashing (which I don't think is a good idea.)

MY opinion is that a cartridge is a good comprimise among the three.:)
(ANY type of filter is going to be easier to keep clean on chlorine or bromine than on biguinide!)

b2001
05-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Your problem with cartridge filters are more biguinde related than anything else.

Bingo! I've been converted to BBB for a few weeks now and the cartridge pressure has remained constant, water has been crystal clear, etc.

I have not purchased a sand filter as I said that I would. I'm waiting it out to see how long the cartridge filter lasts, and its looks like it will for a while.

waterbear
05-31-2006, 09:29 PM
Glad to hear it!:D