PDA

View Full Version : Above Ground pool light

huenix
04-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Any suggestions? I have power run to the pool, and there are a lot of nights that the sodium halide above the garage is too much light for the pool. I googled around a bunch, and checked the cheap internet pool store (Ebay..) and there must be 2 dozen types.

I am looking for something to make it possible to swim at night, not a colored fixture... IM also hoping for "Ease of install" because I already have enough major projects going on in my life.

Thanks in advance.

Karen_in_TN
04-20-2006, 12:38 AM
We've got the nitelighter (20-watt) on our 18' AG pool and have been satisfied with it. All we had to do to install is pop one of the top rails up and hook it on top of the wall. It does have to be taken off during the winter. We have ours hooked up on an outdoor remote control so it can be turned off or on from in the house.

gwrace1
04-20-2006, 08:58 AM
I've got two on our AGP. The Aqualuminator and Nitelighter. The AL does a decent job of lighting up our 33' round pool. It also acts as a pool return and came with a nice fountain attachment. I installed a three way valve so I can adjust the flow between the two pool returns.

The Nitelighter installs under the top seat of the pool and comes with a standard electrical plug. We use it only on occasion. The cord tends to get in the way of lawn mowing and trimming.

My only problem with the luminator was the non standard plumbing fitting they use. They make you buy a "Hard Plumbing Adapter" if you intend to hard plumb your returns with rigid PVC pipe. The only place I could find it was online and it cost $10 dollars to get it delivered. It's a .25 part.

If you intend to install it on a permanent pool it does need to be wired to code. Our is wired thru conduit to a sub-panel in our storage shed. Otherwise it just comes with a cord for plugging into any outlet.

CarlD
04-20-2006, 08:59 AM
There are all sorts. I like the kind where you install the lens, which becomes part of the pool wall and is sealed, and the lamp is behind it, easily removable for servicing, winter, or summer.

I also STRONGLY recommend that only 12 volt lighting be used. The risk of electrocution in the event of a leak or short is far greatly reduced.

Whatever kind of lighting you use (short of solar charged batteries) should ONLY be on a ground-faulted circuit.

huenix
04-20-2006, 09:32 AM
I've got two on our AGP. The Aqualuminator and Nitelighter. The AL does a decent job of lighting up our 33' round pool. It also acts as a pool return and came with a nice fountain attachment. I installed a three way valve so I can adjust the flow between the two pool returns.

I have a return line vacuum, so either I buy the Aqualuminator and the attachement, or I punch a new hole. Also, I have power run to the pump motor, so I was going to just tie into that line. I'm pretty decent at wiring, but I don't know what specfically has to be done to wire these up. Is it just a matter of running through conduit?

thepoolman1
04-20-2006, 11:03 AM
As was mentioned above, please only us a 12-volt light in your pool. There are many safety issues involved with a pool light. Also, having power at the pool equipment and having enough power at the pool equipment are two different issues. Make sure that the circuit you plan on using can handle both the light-transformer and the pool filter-pump.

huenix
04-20-2006, 01:25 PM
As was mentioned above, please only us a 12-volt light in your pool. There are many safety issues involved with a pool light. Also, having power at the pool equipment and having enough power at the pool equipment are two different issues. Make sure that the circuit you plan on using can handle both the light-transformer and the pool filter-pump.

I should have been more specific. I have two runs of outdoor rated romex, buried in conduit, run to a riser where I plug in the pump. One run is for the pump, one is for two other 60 watt outdoor lights. I am assuming I can just run the 12v transformer from the run for the lights... Is that a valid assumption? The Aqualuminator data sheet doesnt list the current draw of the transformer, which surprises me...

jimmyzshack
06-23-2006, 03:39 PM
anyone used the new Aqua Luminator color (LED) light. are they bright?
Thanks,

The Raddish
06-23-2006, 04:07 PM
According to the NEC 680, a pool light MUST be on a dedicated circuit, not on the pump circuit, and not on an auxiliary circuit.

I have an ABG, and I have three GFI breakered circuits for the pool. One for the pump, one for my Aqualuminator (which we love), and one for the auxiliary outlet and area lighting circuit.

Do NOT plug in your Aqualuminator or other pool lighting into your auxiliary circuit.

More info can be found in this thread (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=709).

jimmyzshack
07-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Ok, i got the nitelighter light but i think i need two it only really lights up one end of the pool. I think i'm going to move it tonight to the middle of the wall and see how it looks there. too bad they don't make any lights higher than 50watts for above ground pools.

jimmyzshack
07-12-2006, 07:48 AM
moved the light to the middle wall (15x30 pool) it made a big difference so i guess i can live with just one light :)

lilmank
07-12-2006, 08:20 AM
I have the nitelighter 35 watt on my 24' ag pool and am going to get another one probably the 50 watt one. 35 watt only lights qaurter of the pool. They are very simple to install too just pull top rail and tighten 2 screws. I have a dedicated circuit for my lights also.

matt4x4
07-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Aqualuminator - lights up whole pool 30 foot round.
I's like to get one of teh LED ones, just for color choices

jimmyzshack
07-12-2006, 09:42 AM
yea i saw the LED one wonder how bright it is. It cost some $$$

traceyb
07-17-2006, 05:01 PM
We have our wiring to do soon.... we plan on having the pump/filter on it's own circuit (gfci) and we have a circuit by itself w/ a ready "dangling" wire under the house. Can we run it for the aqualuminator and also use that circuit for an outlet or two on the deck? If we use the light at night and NOT the extra outlets, what's the problem w/ that? Or do you have to have one circuit to the pump....one to the light and a 3rd one to aux' outlets???????????:confused:

traceyb
07-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Aqualuminator - lights up whole pool 30 foot round.
I's like to get one of teh LED ones, just for color choices

MATT????
Is your aqlum.........is it plugged into a 110 or 220V????
Please respond as soon as you can.

TraceyB:confused:

sevver
07-17-2006, 05:39 PM
I have an aqualuminator, and it is plugged into 110. I have an 18' pool and it lights it up quite nicely. My only complaints on it are that you have to purchase another fitting from them to get the thing compatible with anything else. Meaning PVC, I have a valve that I had on my old jet, and the valve went right on it. Now it is on the other end of the hose backwards in the Nature2. I would much rather it was up at the jet, I will get the fitting later...
The other thing is that the fountain attachment also has to come from them, I want one of those to, but again I will purchase one later. I will put up some night pics of the pool in the above ground pool gallery tonight if I get around to it.

traceyb
07-17-2006, 09:28 PM
hey thanks sevver..........the fountain now is a freebie when you order the light. I paid $99 for both plus shipping. I was concerned about the lighting, however now that I have been told by you and a friend that a 110 is ok.......we're good to go. I plan on putting in the return hole as stated, I don't think we'll need PVC do you? My friends have an esther w also, and the return hose fits right to the light?????

sevver
07-17-2006, 09:31 PM
The hose fit to the light, although it was a bit small for the hose for my tastes. It tightened down ok though and no leaks so far.

matt4x4
07-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Yes, 110V, I can run it with the pump off one GFCI no issues.
The fitting is about 1/64th smaller than typical, I put a shutoff directly on it by scarring it up really good and using a ton of glue - no leaks 3 yrs later, so it must have worked well.
I'm still looking into the LED version of it but it's expensive - if possible, I'd like to get that or retrofit my own - I've got a lot of experience with LED's, so setting that up should be relatively simple.
Guess I'll just wait til the bulb blows, then i have a csing to play with....

traceyb
07-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Yes, 110V, I can run it with the pump off one GFCI no issues.
The fitting is about 1/64th smaller than typical, I put a shutoff directly on it by scarring it up really good and using a ton of glue - no leaks 3 yrs later, so it must have worked well.
I'm still looking into the LED version of it but it's expensive - if possible, I'd like to get that or retrofit my own - I've got a lot of experience with LED's, so setting that up should be relatively simple.
Guess I'll just wait til the bulb blows, then i have a csing to play with....
So matt........here's our wiring so far. Tomorrow they start to level for our ag at 8 am. We (HE) ran a gfci from the box indoors through a timer (intermatic) which is also right indoors by our box. That is it's very own circuit going to the pump. Then he ran another one that was not being used, but already hooked up to power out as well. He plans to bury them both together, one for the pump alone and the other one for the aqual.....and aux's off of that one. Is that ok......we wanted plug the aqual and pump into the same box and use the secondary for extra power for the "future" decking. What do you think..........so many say NO to plugging the light and pump together....it's a 1 1/2 HP Jacuzzi pump. Let me know. He will finish up the wiring tom. after they set up and leave and while in which time the water bill is accelerating??????????????? You probable can understand how handy it would be to use the pump plug in for the light too and use that other wire for extras???????However.....a thought on this issue??? the pump IS run through the timer and the aqua L would be too....however it DOES have a shut off button? This is nuts. The darn outdoor wire is NOW 125$ for 250 feet........Copper you know.

traceyb
07-24-2006, 08:04 AM
I have an aqualuminator, and it is plugged into 110. I have an 18' pool and it lights it up quite nicely. My only complaints on it are that you have to purchase another fitting from them to get the thing compatible with anything else. Meaning PVC, I have a valve that I had on my old jet, and the valve went right on it. Now it is on the other end of the hose backwards in the Nature2. I would much rather it was up at the jet, I will get the fitting later...
The other thing is that the fountain attachment also has to come from them, I want one of those to, but again I will purchase one later. I will put up some night pics of the pool in the above ground pool gallery tonight if I get around to it.
Sevver,
Just to let you know, the fountain attachment that I got as a freebie w/ the aquaL is not worth $30. It is definately cool while it's on, however it is very stubborn during attachment. It obviously doesn't light up, however you might check into another type of fountain first. If u could get it free, fine, but honestly I wouldn't buy one for that much if I know what I know now about it.

JUST AN FYI