PDA

View Full Version : Help me design a ramp?

AnnaK
12-29-2006, 06:32 PM
At the end of October we shut down the pool which involved winterizing the pump and filter equipment and removing the wedding cake steps.
Turns out we're having a very mild winter in the Northeast and there are days when the dogs could get in for a few laps. I can deal with the dog hair even without the pump running - I'd have to skim it off the top. And I can manage the water chemistry by agitating with the brush after adding bleach. Not much is growing in there right now, anyway.

BUT . . . without the steps I can't get the dogs back out.

Two of them are too old to use the Scamper Ramp; they just would not be able to pull themselves up the floating incline.

What we need is an actual ramp into the pool, something solid they can walk down and back up. Made of materials which won't break if they freeze, or rot in the water. An incline which rests on the bottom of the pool without damaging the liner. Covered with indoor-outdoor carpeting to help them get a grip. I think 24" wide is good enough, and it has to be long enough so it's not too steep for the old guys. Light weight so I can pull it out by myself but heavy enough so it doesn't float.

Maybe weighted down at the front (the part that sits on the bottom of the pool) but with wheels or casters for when I pull it out?

I thought I'd throw this out, see if we can come up with some ideas.

aylad
12-30-2006, 09:33 AM
I think I would consider leaving the steps in....

Janet

AnnaK
12-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Can't leave the steps in because there are days (nights) when the surface freezes which could crack the steps, and they're too expensive to replace.

fofa
01-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Back many moons ago, I had an uncle that did the same thing.
He had an aluminum ladder (one of those extension ladders). He took the top part out, wrapped some carpet or something like that around it, and used wire to "sew" it together on the bottom side. Basically just pushed the wire through both layers, over a rung, back through both layers and twisted it. He just put that in, and his dogs could get in and out easily, even the old one. He said it took them a little bit to get used to the "sag" between rungs, but they seemed to take to it. He just said the dang thing was heavy once the carpet got soaked. But if I recall, ice didn't bother it. He had a plaster pool however, don't know if you want those wire ends hanging out with a liner.
Anyway just thought I would share.
Man, never thought I would need that story! Didn't even really remember it until I read your post :)

AnnaK
01-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Boy, I sure am glad you remembered the story!

That's a great idea for the basic framework, an old aluminum ladder. I'll ruminate on that while I'm taking the Christmas tree down.

Thank you, and Happy New Year to all!

shrike
01-01-2007, 06:14 PM
what about one for a boat lilke these? Just google dog boat ramp...there are a ton, even ones for the pool...

http://www.petclassics.com/WaterRamps/BoatRamps.htm

www.pupgearcorporation.com/core/media/media.nl?id=130&c=460947&h=7d441a038f25aa01938b

http://www.lambriarvetsupply.com/images/products/SKR2.jpg

AnnaK
01-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Thank you for those URLs!