PDA

View Full Version : Muriatic acid storage

mohawk
12-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Does anyone know if muriatic acid will freeze? The packaging doesn't say anything about storing in cold weather. I have it stored out in the garage and the weather so far can be below 0 to 50 above. Is there another place where I should put it? Thanks for your answers. :)

Sumo1
12-10-2006, 12:35 AM
see the last post in a thread titled "re: cheapest source for muriatic acid?"

chem geek
12-10-2006, 02:12 AM
In case you have trouble finding the post Sumo1 refers to (it's easy to find using "Search"), here's the main point from this post (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=39632#post39632):

"The freezing point of Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid) is -46C (-50.8F) (for Hasa; other brands quote even lower freezing points) so unless you live in the Artic, I think you are safe to leave your Muriatic Acid outside."

Richard

MarkC
12-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Just don't store it near anything metal. Even with the lid on a get corrosion on metal stored within 5 feet of muriatic acid.

mohawk
12-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to move it to another area in the garage since now it sits a few feet away from my car. Denise;)

chem geek
12-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to move it to another area in the garage since now it sits a few feet away from my car. Denise;)
The issue with storing acid near metal is if the container is not air tight since the hydrochloric acid fumes are indeed very very corrosive. It's more of a "just in case" rule just in case the cap is not securely tightened or if the container is not otherwise air-tight. I have mine stored in my pool shed (which is ventilated), but I tightened the cap quite strongly and did an extensive "sniff-test" around the cap and the bottle and also took a moistened (with distilled water) pH test strip and left it near the bottle and found no change in pH. Of course, that probably just shows what a geek I am rather than proving that much about safely storing Muriatic Acid!

Richard