PDA

View Full Version : WhisperFlo Pumps

Phillbo
04-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Any opinions on the Pentair WhisperFlo Pumps.. (1HP)

I know most prefer the 2 speed pumps but I run my Hayward Vac whenever the pump is on.

Also , what is a Jandy 3 - way valve and why would I need one?

Thanks.

ytngt
04-19-2006, 06:55 PM
I have a WhisperFlo Pump 1 hp single speed. The pump was rated well a year or two ago when I bought it. It has served me well without any issues.

If I had it to do over again I would buy the 1hp two speed version because I have a polaris 380 (pressure cleaner).

FYI the 1 hp motor is actually an under-rated 1.5 hp motor. I would assume the impeller is the only difference between 1 and 1.5 pump???

1hp motor nameplate data:
1 hp and 1.65 SF (service factor)

The pump primes well and has been run for 8 hours a day for a week "DRY". I was out of town and the wife was operating the pool. She set the valve to waste and forgot about it... The pump wet/dry seal is doing fine.

So overall I give it a thumbs up.

p.p.h.
04-19-2006, 08:28 PM
I also have a whisperflo 1hp and so far I have no complaints. Its only been 3.5 weeks but so far so good!

waterbear
04-19-2006, 08:43 PM
I have a WhisperFlo Pump 1 hp single speed. The pump was rated well a year or two ago when I bought it. It has served me well without any issues.

If I had it to do over again I would buy the 1hp two speed version because I have a polaris 380 (pressure cleaner).

FYI the 1 hp motor is actually an under-rated 1.5 hp motor. I would assume the impeller is the only difference between 1 and 1.5 pump???
pumps have a 'service factor' which is a multiplier for the rated HP of the motor which will give you the full brake HP. If you are comparing a full rated 1 HP and an uprated 1.5 HP from the same model line they would be the SAME PUMP, SAME IMPELLER, SAME VOLUTE, etc.
1hp motor nameplate data:
1 hp and 1.65 SF (service factor)
You actually have the full rated pump. The uprated pump is a a 1.5 HP with a SF of 1.1. These are actually the SAME pump but the uprated models for some reason usually cost less than the full rated ones with the same brake HP. I have never understood this bit of marketing "magic with numbers' but it is commen among pump manufacturers!

The pump primes well and has been run for 8 hours a day for a week "DRY". I was out of town and the wife was operating the pool. She set the valve to waste and forgot about it... The pump wet/dry seal is doing fine.

So overall I give it a thumbs up. I have an uprated 1.5 HP whisperflo single speed myself as my filter pump and it seems to be very dependable. If I could have changed anything it would have been to get the high efficiency model instead of the standard model.

Phillbo
04-19-2006, 11:12 PM
thanks guys !!

what is a Jandy 3 - way valve and why would I need one?

thepoolman1
04-20-2006, 11:15 AM
A Jandy (Pentair, Waterway, Hayward, Intermatic, etc.) 3-way valve is a valve in the shape of a "T." One of the legs is used as the main port (whether suction at a pump or supply in a return line) and a diverter is adjusted by a handle or motor to dertermine where the water is coming from (main-drain, suction-cleaner, spa, auxiliary suction port, etc.) or where it is going (spa, water feature, non-booster pressure pool cleaner, drain-line, etc.) using one or both of the other two ports. You only need one (or more) if you have to adjust the water flow in a manner described above.

Phillbo
04-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Gracias...