PDA

View Full Version : Pump Died Today

BuckeyeFanInFL
11-21-2006, 07:52 AM
I am looking into a DE filter for my pool. Right now it has a cartridge filter (70sqft).

As I stated in the subject line, my pump just died, and I am looking into converting this old cartridge filter system into a DE.

I have a 10,000 gallon pool. Would I buy a 70sqft DE filter? Would buying a larger size hurt?

Right now my pool pump is a 3/4 hp motor. Could I kick it up to 1 hp and expect it to help my pool some?

JohnT
11-21-2006, 08:37 AM
With filters, bigger is usually better, but more expensive. Not at all true with pumps. I'm of the opinion that smaller is (usually) better with pumps. The smaller pump uses less electricity, is cheaper, and you can always run it more to get the pool clean. That's assuming it is large enough to handle vacuuming or running whatever cleaner you might want to use. A 3/4HP pump should easily handle the needs of a 10,000 gallon pool.

BuckeyeFanInFL
11-21-2006, 05:41 PM
ok, I will stick with the 3/4" hp pump.

But I am still unsure about the sizing of the DE or Sand filter. All of the filters I have seen are sized by:

Effective Filtrarion Area = 1.40 square feet (example)
Design Flow Rate = 35 GPM (example)
Turnover- 8 hours = 16,000 gallons; 10 hours =21,000 gallons (example)

How do I find what is a minimum size for my pool. Like I said before, my cartridge is 70sqft and my pool is 10,000 gallons. I didn't see a coversion chart that I can cross reference.

CrisL
11-22-2006, 09:56 AM
You want a filter that is big enough to handle the pump flow (not necessarily the maximum flow, the flow at 20-30 feet of head is about right) and have the combination turn your pool over in about 8 hours. You then probably want to upsize the filter one size or so. (The larger filter reduces pressure and reduces the number of times you need to backwash, saving on maintenance hassles). If you do this, I think you will come up with about a 48 square foot filter. A 70 square foot de filter is pretty big for your pool.

You may even be able to go with a 1/2 hp full rated pump if you go with an energy efficient model like the Northstar or Whisperflo.

You want to compare flow rates to size your pump, not hp as the hp will vary a lot for the same flow rate. For example the flow rate on 3/4 hp Northstar (Hayward's upper-middle range model) is about the same as the flow rate on Hayward's 1.5 hp SuperPump. Confusing, isn't it. A rule of thumb is to get the right size pump - a bigger pump will just eat energy and may actually not clean the pool as well - and upsize the filter.

BuckeyeFanInFL
11-27-2006, 12:52 PM
What is the difference between a in-ground and above ground pool other than the obvious fact that one if for an inground pool and one is for an above ground? A guy has an above ground sand filter, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter Model 190L.

Could this be used for my below ground pool? Or are the two type not interchangable?

Watermom
11-27-2006, 04:07 PM
I have a 24 ft AG pool and recently had to replace my pump. Now, pumps are definitely not my department, but my friend and fellow mod is definitely knowledgeable in this area. In fact, I left it up to him to pick out the pump I should have for my pool and he chose a 1/2 hp inground pool pump for my AG pool. Couldn't tell you off hand what type it is or why he decided 1/2 hp was enough, but it does a good job. Vac works well. I previously had a 1hp pump which was overkill for my size pool. Maybe Al will pop in here and offer more info.

bkny1055
11-27-2006, 04:16 PM
so Crisl you want me to give you the specs of my pool filter and all the correct information off the pool pump so you can help me get the corrrect pump, i am planning in staying in this house for awhile so i will like to have a pump that is

there is a 1HP in there right now i will get you the rest of the information off the filter
thanks for the help guys

BuckeyeFanInFL
11-27-2006, 04:50 PM
I am sorry about my above post. I left out the word filter in my post. I am looking for the difference between an above ground pool filter and a inground pool filter. I have an inground pool...and the filter a guy has to sell is an above ground pool filter. Can I use the model stated in the above post for my inground pool...Has anyone done that? Can it be done?

Poconos
11-27-2006, 07:38 PM
A filter is a filter. Doesn't matter if it's listed under the AG or IG categories. If it is sized correctly for your pumps flow rate it will be fine. Best to oversize the filter though. Lower flow generally means better filtering as you're not ramming dirt through it.
Al