PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl liner design - dealer talking me out of the faux tile designs along the edges?

Otto
04-19-2006, 04:35 PM
I've been researching a new liner for a while now, and I'm used to seeing the designs where there is sort of a faux tile design around the waterline. The last place I went to, the guy seemed very knowledgeable but was trying to talk me out of those designs. He said that he thinks they are ugly and "fake looking", and said if my pool "settles a little" and the water line isn't exactly right, it will look horrible.

He also said with the last 300 liner replacements he did, only 1 person chose that type. I started to get the feeling he was just saying this, maybe because they are more difficult to install, seeing how they need to be level?

Are the faux tile designs really that uncommon, and are they "fake looking"? Is it really a problem if the water is 1 inch or so out of level?

waste
04-19-2006, 10:58 PM
I've been researching a new liner for a while now, and I'm used to seeing the designs where there is sort of a faux tile design around the waterline. The last place I went to, the guy seemed very knowledgeable but was trying to talk me out of those designs. He said that he thinks they are ugly and "fake looking", and said if my pool "settles a little" and the water line isn't exactly right, it will look horrible.

He also said with the last 300 liner replacements he did, only 1 person chose that type. I started to get the feeling he was just saying this, maybe because they are more difficult to install, seeing how they need to be level?

Are the faux tile designs really that uncommon, and are they "fake looking"? Is it really a problem if the water is 1 inch or so out of level?
Otto, no they aren't 'fake' looking, they look just like a tile pattern printed on vynal. Are they trying to copy the look of a conrete pool, yes - but I doubt if they are trying to 'fool' anyone. The tile around a concrete pool serves at least 1 useful purpose, it's easier to clean. It also can add a 'splash' of color/ design to a white plastered pool. (I could go on about liner theory and how patterns on the floor may have originally been done to hide the occasional wrinkle - but it would be pure speculation)
The real reason this guy is trying to talk you into a 'no tile liner' is because it's HIS preference for pools. I doubt that there is much of a cost difference in tile vs no tile, the manufacturer has plenty of both.
As he is not the builder, I doubt that he is trying to hide a defect in construction that he caused, but I think he is trying to hide the fact that a pool may have been installed noticably out of level.
With a 'tile' line, you can easily see where a pool is out of level. However, if you have a good 'eye', you can use the coping to see the same thing - a 'tile line' just makes it more noticable for anyone to see that; the center line on the 'tile pattern' is at waterline, except for in the left deep end corner, where it is 1/2" underwater.
There is no difference in ease of nor difficulty in installing ! I've installed well over 1000 liners and the pattern has nothing to do with installing them (other than I'd rather put in a 'pretty' one.
I've babbled enough for one night- contact me, or post here- anything upon which you need clarification.
All the best! - Waste :)

The Pool Newbie
04-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Otto... We went with a liner that has a brown tile around the top and then white blending itno the blue bottom... We love it... Our pool was fortunately put in level so we have no distinguishable water line issues... I think it could be a big issue... our pool builder never once tried to steer us away from it si I figured he was fairly confident in his abilities...

Scott

mwsmith2
04-20-2006, 08:15 AM
I can see his point. I have a gunite pool, and I've seen a friend's vinyl liner pool. Yes, the "tile" doesn't look like tile, but I don't think they're really trying to fool anyone. Yes, as his filled, it stretched a bit in the corners, and looks a bit weird, but not that bad. I think a borderless pool would look more odd.

Michael

hsdancer
04-20-2006, 09:06 AM
We built our own pool installed the liner with a diamond tile pattern across the top ourselves. Although there is minor stretching and compression of the pattern around the stairs, swim-outs, and corners, it is not noticeable or bothersome.

Would it help yo to know that one of the first things my husband did when we moved into our new house is straighten all the outlet and light switch covers? He doesn't like anything that not's symetrical and lined up. So when I say minor, I really mean, MINOR. The liner looks great.

You're the one who's going to be looking at it. There's no reason to get what someone else wants. Joie

CarlD
04-20-2006, 09:25 AM
It's mostly nonsense. If you think a tile pattern looks bad, don't get one. If you like it, get it. The leveling issue is not as great as they say--if you are using a beaded liner, the pattern will follow the bead.

Sure, some of the patterns are nice, and some are hideous. That's true of tile, carpet, curtains, EVERYTHING...There's no accounting for taste.

However, I have found that when a contractor recommends against something you want you have two good choices and one bad choice:\
The good:
Follow his advice.
Find a contractor experienced in doing what you want.

The bad:
Make him do it anyway. In 9 out of 10 jobs, you'll be sorry.

Been there, done that.

JohnT
04-20-2006, 10:05 AM
My guess is that he knows that a poorly measured/installed liner will be more noticeable with the tile look. Gives him more leeway if he goofs.

Otto
04-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I measured from the bottom of the coping down to the waterline around the whole pool. The biggest deviation was 1/2" (waterline is 1/2" lower near diving board, it's highest point is next to the stairs on opposide side of pool). I really don't think this will show much at all, especially if there are people swimming in the pool, so I went with a design that has a border.