PDA

View Full Version : New Plaster and tile --startup issues

azhobbs
11-15-2006, 08:31 PM
I live in Arizona and I just had the pool replastered (ultrapoz). Upon startup the contractor put in about 3 pucks in the skimmer and 5 in the floater.

I have been brushing the surface at least 4 times a day and the pool is totally clear after 3 days. I did install a new Hayward DE filter.

So yesterday I tested and the CL was over 10! So I pulled the pucks out and let the filter run again for 24 hours. Here are the numbers.:
cl=9
ph 7.6
alk 190
Cal 210 (hard water here in AZ)
cya 50

I have a good supply of bleach and acid, and I am totally ditching the pucks.

It looks like I need the Cl to get closer to 3 or 4, and lower the ALK. However the plaster is less than 5 days old, does anyone have any recommendations on the action to take?

Thanks in advance.

CarlD
11-16-2006, 06:51 AM
cl=9
ph 7.6
alk 190
Cal 210 (hard water here in AZ)
cya 50

Those numbers look great, other than Alk! That's unusual for a new plaster pool.

Normal recommended FC (free chlorine) level for CYA of 30-50 is 3 to 6 and you shock at 15, but for levels of 60-90 is 5 to 10, shocking at 20.
So a chlorine level of 10 is fine.

pH at 7.6 is perfect--but to lower Alk you'll need to get it down to 7.0-7.2 and aerate.

Calcium is near the bottom of the recommended range for plaster pools--200-400, but with your Alk at 190, I wouldn't mess with it until alk is in the 90-125 range. Besides, you are WITHIN the range so you don't have to change it.

Still, you shouldn't have any problems with your current numbers, but I'm not a plaster pool guy, and I defer to anyone who is more knowledgable there.

But, again, I don't see any signs of trouble in your numbers--they look great!

azhobbs
11-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Carl,

Thanks, for some reason I knew you would be the first to respond. I got the ph down to 7.2 today and I will aereate tonight and I will repost the numbers.

I will repost tomorrow. Thanks again.