PDA

View Full Version : Pool Timers - I need to replace

tclemmer
11-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Does anyone have any experience with either the TightWatt Digital Pool Timer

http://www.tightwatt.com/

Or the Digital/Programmable Intermatic Timer
http://www.inyopools.com/Products/02400001004221.htm

I have a dual timer set up, one for the filter and one for the cleaner. The Filter timer will not turn on with the metal "on" flags anymore and when I turn it on manually, the metal "off" flag trips it half way. Not sure if I can take it apart and fix it. These programable digital timers have my interest.

Any info would be appreciated.

Tom

fission7x
11-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Sounds like you have an Intermatic mechanical timer.
If I were you, I would save a bunch of money and go to Lowes and just buy another pair of mechanical timers. They're only $40 each. Here's the Lowes description: Intermatic 24 Hour Water Heater Timer, 250 Volt, Item #: 26399, Model: WH40-6-250V. I replaced mine last year. I didn't have to replace the box, I used my existing metal box and just used the timer mechanism out of the new timer. Easy!! The digital ones you are considering seem to cost about $150 each. For a timer - Ouch!

waste
11-04-2006, 02:22 PM
tc, welcome to the forum!1 If you remove the 'on' pin, is the tab still there? A cheep fix may be to just replace the 'on/ off' pins/ tabs.
No clue about the electric ones (I'd probably electrocute myself trying to set one :p ) But it does sound like the 'flags' have deteriorated, so that they no longer trip the on/ off switches.
Good luck on this, if you need any more help, never hesitate to ask :)

tclemmer
11-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Yea, the digital ones are expensive but sounds like they would replace both timers as they seem to control two or even three items. Still would be twice what was posted about Lowes.

I have tried the on off flags from the booster pump, still did not work. I will go to lowes and see what they got.

Thanks again,

Tom

Poconos
11-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Just something to consider about any electronic device, especially ones that are on an unfused, high current line. Lightening. Circuit breakers don't count as they are too slow acting. Unless you get a direct hit, the simple and cheaper mechanical timers are pretty immune. Manufacturers do consider power line spikes to varying degrees, but in any case, spikes and electronics don't get along well together. Another issue is wide temperature swings on electronic components if they are so exposed. I know they have a warranty but that is probably one year at most and anything after that, you eat it. Just my opinion.
Al

tclemmer
11-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Good point. Had not thought about that. I can see the benefits of the mechanical timers: Cheaper, Robust to power flucuations etc, longevity.

The electronic versions only have one real benefit: Progammability.

Thanks for your input. I was hoping that someone that actually has used the electronic timers would have something to say, but I guess the lack of people that have used them on this forum makes a statement itself.

Tom

hinejs
11-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Good point. Had not thought about that. I can see the benefits of the mechanical timers: Cheaper, Robust to power flucuations etc, longevity.

The electronic versions only have one real benefit: Progammability.

Thanks for your input. I was hoping that someone that actually has used the electronic timers would have something to say, but I guess the lack of people that have used them on this forum makes a statement itself.

Tom

I sell the tightwatt timers. Its a convenience thing. The good old Intermatics are fine too. Have you considered upgraded to automation with a wireless remote?

tclemmer
11-05-2006, 10:05 PM
I read some about the x10 home automation stuff but have not looked into any wireless stuff.

I think I am going to save money and just look into a replacement mechanical timer.

Thanks anyway

Tom

hinejs
11-06-2006, 11:52 PM
I'm a big fan of the automation by Pentair. Easy to setup and easy to use.

I also understand that its a considerable investment. Thats why I sell so many of the universal replacement timer mechanisms for the intermatics.

Its a fairly simple 20 minute replacement. You'll want to throw the circuit breaker for the pool equipment first. Be sure you've got a good solid ground on your timer, and that you get the plastic wire gaurd back on.

MarkC
11-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Another good think about mechanical timers is if the power goes out for any length of time they don't care and when the power does come back on they will just pick up where they left off. The time might be a few hours off of the correct time but the pumps will still turn on. I don't know what kind of backup the digital has.

tclemmer
11-08-2006, 03:08 PM
The two I asked about both have battery backup. But I am going to replace with mechanical.

Tom

tclemmer
11-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Went to Lowe's as suggested and got the Water Heater Timer, popped right in and we will see if the on off flags work.

Its the one on the left.

Tom

Steve #1
02-14-2007, 09:57 AM
I just found this thread while looking for information on the tightwatt. I'm interested in setting one up to work with the x10 and a temperature sensor for freeze protection.

For anyone that was put off by the price, you can get the 240w for 50% off direct from tightwatt (http://www.tightwatt.com/buy-now/tw-240-pfc-sale.html) for $84.50 shipped. Still not cheap (compared to a mechanical timer), but a lot easier to swallow. I'm stll trying to learn a little more about 'em before I bite.