PDA

View Full Version : Earthworms !!!

cajunfla
11-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Here in NE Florida, we had our first significant rain in about the last 35 days or so, on a Friday night. Went out to the pool Saturday morning, and found about 150 earthworms on the bottom of the pool. Seems to happen every time it rains, after a dry spell. This time was the worse.

IG fiberglass with about a minimum of 4 feet of decking all the way around.

Any ideas on how to stop them?

Thanks, jeff

fcfrey
11-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Worms HATE alkaline soil.
I spread a heavy coat (15' band all around) of ground limestone all around the pool twice a year and have eliminated the problem almost completely. It take me about 300# to do what I have but at $3.00 per 50# bag it is well worth it and won't hurt the grass.

A couple of years ago I opened the pool to find close to 50# of dead worms on the bottom:eek: Talked to the local Ag extention office (PSU) and got the tip from them ---- IT WORKS!!:) :) :)

cajunfla
11-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the input. What did the limestone do to your grass? I know we have vastly different grass in Florida from Penn.

Poconos
11-02-2006, 08:36 AM
50 # (Pounds)???? Is that right? I can't begin to imagine what 50 pounds of dead soggy worms looks like. Yuck! I'll bet they are a delicacy to someone in this world.
Al

fcfrey
11-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Yep --- No exageration --- almost a full 5 gallon bucket full :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have a mixture of Kentucky Blue and Perennial rye --- the Lime has not effected it at all. Ground limestone dissolves very slowly as compared to slack lime used in building products which will burn you and the grass. Did a soil sample -- pH was almost 8

I'm not sure how your bermuda grass would react --- good question for your ag extention agent. I lived in Melbourne FL in the 60s--- seemed like everything was alkaline.

scarywoody
03-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Ah I was just digging worms out of my pool today. I will have to try the limestone.

divnkd101
03-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Here in NE Florida, we had our first significant rain in about the last 35 days or so, on a Friday night. Went out to the pool Saturday morning, and found about 150 earthworms on the bottom of the pool. Seems to happen every time it rains, after a dry spell. This time was the worse.

IG fiberglass with about a minimum of 4 feet of decking all the way around.

Any ideas on how to stop them?

Thanks, jeff

Jeff,
You are obviously a Louisiana Man living in Florida. Don't you have one of the those backwoods recipes for Worm Ettouffe??? They will already be purged... ha ha ha.
FYI, the limestone won't kill your St. Augustine