PDA

View Full Version : AquaLogic and Landscape Lights

SJohnson
04-19-2006, 01:29 PM
I have an extra auxiliary input/output on my AquaLogic controls and was thinking about connecting a transformer for landscape lighting. This way I could control the landscape lights from the control pad on my screen porch . . . Anyone have any experience modifying or customizing the 110 V connections on the main board of the AquaLogic? The transformer I have just plugs into a normal wall outlet . . . I imagine that I need to cut the plug off and wire it to the aux posts in the AquaLogic's main control box . . . Not sure how to do this exactly . . .

Thanks!

-SJ

waterbear
04-19-2006, 08:58 PM
I have my aqualogic controlling low volage landscape lighting. the transformer is an Intermatic and is designed to be hard wired to the mains...exactly the same as the ones for my 12 V pool and spa lights and is wired into the aqualogic the same way. (electrician did the wiring but it doesn't look like it's too hard to do.) I now have an extra plug in type 12v landscape light transformer that I used to use with this light set so I might just buy some wire and some more lights ala carte and set it up in my front yard

SJohnson
04-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks waterbear! Yeah, I didn't think it was too hard . . . My brother is good with electrical stuff, so I'll probably have him talk me through it, but I wasn't sure if I needed to ground this thing or what . . . I may end up buying a new transformer anyway, not sure the one I have will run all the lights I have in mind. First things first though, gotta get some sod around the pool . . . I think I'll run the wiring under the sod to save myself some trouble later . . . I do like the aqualogic system, it sure is handy . . .

Thanks!!

-SJ

waterbear
04-19-2006, 11:13 PM
I may end up buying a new transformer anyway, not sure the one I have will run all the lights I have in mind.

Thanks!!

-SJ
I DID get a new transformer. It needs to be hard wired into the control unit. Intermatic makes them (same company that makes Malibu low voltage lighting and also pool time clocks). you can check out their website
www.intermatic.com

I now have an extra plug in transformer that I am not using. it was the one that used to power my lights before the aqualogic. Both my electircian and my neighbor across the street who is a retired electrician said to go with the intermatic transformer and not cut the plug off of the one I had and wire it in.

SJohnson
04-20-2006, 12:39 AM
Thanks for clearing that up and thanks also for the lead on the transformer!! This just seems like the perfect solution with Aux2 not being in use and the timer functions in the aqualogic . . . Great to have everything on one control pad too!! You wouldn't happen to remember the model that you're using would you??

Thanks again!!

-SJ

waterbear
04-20-2006, 11:36 AM
They have 2 models
Here is the link
http://www.intermatic.com/?action=subcat&sid=203
I have the galvanized ones (3 of them...one for the pool light, one for the spa light, one for the landscape lights) but I wish I had the stainless steel ones
http://www.intermatic.com/?action=subcat&sid=204
since I live one block from the ocean and I have since heard that they will only last about 5 years here because of corrosion.
Which model you need depends on the wattage of the lights you are hooking up.
With landscape lighting bigger is usually better becuase you can then add to it without problems (At least in my opinion!) but then cost does figure into the equation.