PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation(s) on pump, etc.

Cal_Newbie
10-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Greetings,

As our project nears completion (Thank You for the help), I want to make sure the pump/filter/skimmer, etc is as effective as possible. A 12 x 24 x 54" pool, we need to select a very good, efficient pump/filter combo (is the 2 stage pump too much overkill?) and peripheral parts i:e; skimmer (wide mouth opening), etc. We will be plumbing it with PVC and will be using sch80 underground pvc pipe due to exposure. We live in California, but there are times here on the central coast it dips below freezing at nights for many days. Have seen my fair share of burst sch40 pipe. I also saw the usuage of radiator hose as the union/connecter and think that is a very nice idea also.

We really want to finish this right, it has been a fun/frustrating/enlightening/at times miserable adventure...but damn! Its worth it.

So again, we Thank You all for your assistance on helping us button this project up.....my kids are not so happy with the time over run...oh well.

Bob-

matt4x4
10-25-2006, 01:51 PM
me again!
Definitely get the wide mouth skimmer, better at catching surface debris and only a couple of $ more.
I don't think 2 speed pumps are a necessity, then again, I neve used one, but my 1 speed works well for our needs.
I would use a 1/2 hp one speed pump and a snd filter running zeobrite with some DE added from time to time, this works well for us and others, however, a sand filter will not have the filtering ability of a DE filter but is a lot less maintenance in my opinion.
Hayward, pentair and sta-rite make good quality equipment, for filter size (sand) you should be able to stick with the smaller sizes such as 18" or 19" for your size pool.
There are many here with much more knowledge on pumps and filters, this is just what I've picked up from them over time, just don't go too big with your equipment, big is definitely NOT better when it comes to pumps and filters.

Oh, to add, also make sure you plumb in some shutoffs right at the pool with some quick disconnects, they are so useful to have and definitely worth the 40 bucks.

Cal_Newbie
10-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Thank You Matt...........

Yes, it has a cutout in the stainless panel for the widemouth..any suggestions to a brand. I see there are baskets, socks, etc for straining.

Bob-

matt4x4
10-25-2006, 02:28 PM
I thing they are probably ALL made by the same outfit!
Anything but Walmart, their stuff in generally is crap and the plastic will likely become brittle earlier than a poolstore brands (except the bleach, can't beat their bleach for both concentration/price!)
Basket is a must to get leaves and such, socks are pretty handy certain times of the year to get things such as pollen better.