PDA

View Full Version : New Filter sizing help please?

azhobbs
10-22-2006, 07:43 PM
I am having the pool surfaces replace and I will be replacing the 20 year old sand filter at the same time. My pool is 13.5K gallon, with an in-floor cleaning system and a spa on the side that spills over in to the pool.

The pump is 1.5 HP, which is necessary to drive the infloor system and spa. There is only one pump.

I am looking at the Perflex EC75 Hayward DE filter. Will that filter be able to handle 1.5 HP? Does anyone have any other recommendations?

The chipout starts Tuesday.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Waterworks
10-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Depending on the pump brand, model and whether it is full rated or up rated will make a big difference here. Also, your pipe sizing will be important. At first glance though, most 1.5 HP pumps push more water than the EC75 is designed for (80GPM). Please post this info and I will help you with the filter size.

Brad
Waterworks Pools

azhobbs
10-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks,

The current pump is a magnetek Century E+ 1.5 HP, service load (?) 1.47.

I have all 2" pipes. I have not purchased the filter yet so any other recommendations are welcome.

Waterworks
10-25-2006, 08:52 PM
That pump is probably too much for that filter as it probably pumps in the 100 GPM range and the filter is rated for 80 GPM. I would look at one of Haywards Larger DE Filters, maybe in the 60 square foot range. You will appreciate the better technology, as well as much longer time between backwashing. Also, the 60 sq. ft. filter is rated for 120 GPM.

Brad