PDA

View Full Version : Will sun damage equipment?

luvapool
04-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Will placing pool equipment in southern sun damage the equipment?

PopcornGirl
04-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi luvapool! :)

What kind of equipment are you referring to?

I know that I leave my pool brush & net sitting out in the (deep south) sun and it has not seemed to bother them at all (4 years now).
That said, I would NOT leave out expensive pool vacuums (like the Kreepy Krauly). I did that one year and had to replace virtually the whole assembly! The hot sun destroyed the rubber, suction mat AND seriously affected the flex hose. :( Very hard, EXPENSIVE lesson learned! :(
Oh, and don't leave your pool thermometer laying around in the sun, either. My kids have ruined about 3 of them by doing that. If you take it out of the pool to add chemicals, put it in the shade.
And of course, don't leave your pool chemicals out...
Are your referring to anything specific?

KurtV
04-19-2006, 12:35 PM
PVC exposed to sunlight will oxidize and become less impact resistant though supposedly that won't negatively change its pressure holding capability. Painting it with an opaque paint will prevent that oxidation.

I can't speak to any of the other pool equipment components.

PopcornGirl
04-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Ohhhh... (knocks self in forehead)
You are talking about the BIG pool equipment!
Sorry.
Well, I certainly hope not because ALL of my pipes, pump, filter, etc. have been sitting open to the elements since they were installed! My pool installer did it this way and I never thought to question it (I've never owned a pool before).
Hmmm... good question.
Sorry for my silly answer. :o

luvapool
04-19-2006, 12:51 PM
PopcornGirl,

Not silly at all! Though I was referring to the pump, filter etc, I never gave thought to the other stuff-just as important!

KurtV, would any outdoor paint do?

KurtV
04-19-2006, 01:23 PM
This is on my list of things to do for my new pool but it hasn't bubbled to the top yet (the list seems to grow instead of shrink) so I haven't actually researched the paint part. My guess is that about any water-based outdoor paint would be fine so long as it was put on thick enough to completely block the UV. I'd be wary of using oil-based paint on plastic. Plus it tends to mildew worse here in the hot, humid south

PopcornGirl
04-19-2006, 03:18 PM
You know, this could add to the aesthetic value as well... if I painted all those white pipes a nice shade of forest green or something, maybe they wouldn't stand out so much. :D

Ok, I think the heat is getting to me.