PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!!!What to do with SWG and keeping pool open

georgiapoollover
10-09-2006, 12:56 PM
I live in Georgia, and want to keep our new vinyl pool open during the winter. It doesnt get too cold here. Our pipes are buried very deep, like 4 feet down. We have freeze protection on our plumbing. We have a Aqua Rite SWG that has been wonderful compared to our other other automatic chlorinator from our old pool at another house. Our pool has been crystal clear all summer. Problem is, we want to keep the pool open and not close it. That is common here. We dont have a heater. The water temp right now is 71, and our salt level is at 3300. What do we do? We have no cover. We are filtering now about 3 to 4 hours a day. The pool cleaner gets all the leaves that are falling. This might sound crazy, but we are new to this SWG thing. What temp does the SWG stop working? And....how does the pool get chlorine after that? Do we add shock, and will that register on the readout on the SWG? Does the system shut down all together?

LoveinGA
10-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Hey GPA. I live in Georgia as well. This will be the second winter that I've had my pool (14x26 inground vinyl-liner w/ an Aquarite SWG). Last year, the pool guys came and closed it up for me, but I'm still undecided what I'll do this winter. Anyway, I looked at the manual for the SWG and this is what it says:

"Winterizing
The Aqua Rite electrolytic cell and flow detection switch will be damaged by freezing water just as your pool plumbing would. In areas of the country which experience severe or extended periods of freezing temperatures, be sure to drain all water from the pump, filter, and supply and return lines before any freezing conditions occur. The electronic control is capable of withstanding any winter weather and should not be removed."

It also says:

"Prevent over-chlorination during cold weather: Check chlorine levels periodically. Most pools require less chlorine during cold weather and the “Desired Output %” dial should be turned down accordingly."

CanuckPool
10-30-2006, 02:25 PM
I live up in Canada, I dont have an aquarite but I do have the intellichlor. It has since been removed and stored inside for the winter, but at temperatures below 59 degress the unit stops producing chloring to protect the unit from damage. I suspect yours will do the same, so you would just have to chlorinate manually.

mas985
10-30-2006, 02:59 PM
I have the Aqualogic, a sister product of Aquarite, and I do not believe it shut down at all last year for me and the water got below 55 degrees. If it did shut down due to low temperature, it probably would not mater since algae growth slows down considerably below 55 degrees and I have heard, but not confirmed, that it nearly stops below 50 degrees so you would need very little if any chlorine anyway. I had mine set for 0.5 ppm all winter and no problems.

Theusla
11-01-2006, 11:19 AM
I live in Texas and keep my pool open all year. When the water temp gets below 50 degrees the Aqua Rite stops generating. Here it has not been cold enough, long enough to be a problem. If it stays cold you will need to add chlorine. check out the info on this site about using bleach.