PDA

View Full Version : New electrical subpanel for IG pool

Zaphod
04-19-2006, 07:02 AM
I'm about to install a new heat pump into the circulation system of my 16X40 IG pool.

The electrician who examined my system recommended I change out the electrical subpanel, because of corrosion and rust throughout the box (which is about 17 years old and feeding a total of 90 amps).

Questions: Are there subpanels specifically made for pools, or can I just run to Home Depot and buy a new one? Also, I have dual timers that control my pump and booster pump hooked into a Polaris. Can I buy, say, two new digital Intermatics and fit them into a generic subpanel from the hardware store?

Thanks,

Zaphod

KurtV
04-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Intermatic makes subpanel/timer housing combinations; something like this: http://www.poolplaza.com/P-INT-30-698-T.html.

MarkC
04-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Intermatic makes a pool panel with a space for two timers in it. I have exactly the same set up you have. If you have a heat pump get the larger capacity one since the heat pump can draw quite a few amps. This pool panel also has a breaker array in the cabinet where you can put all the breakers for your pool. It's a great panel and does not cost a fortune.

dep78737
04-19-2006, 09:50 AM
I assume your electrician checked, but make sure the lines feeding the subpanel are the right size to handle the added load of the heat pump. I don't claim to be an electrician, but the code book has pretty straightforward rules regarding voltage/amp load/wire gauge/distance. 90A on the existing one sounds big. You may have a 50A and 2 20A breakers in the subpanel but that does not mean the load is that high. Check the breaker at the main panel.

imfignewton
04-30-2006, 11:17 AM
You could use a Goldline PS-4 it comes with a breaker box and you can set run times on your pool pump and your cleaner pump. Then down the line you can add a salt system and an in house control pad. www.haywardnet.com/products/displayProd_controls.cfm?ProductID=124