PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with my light?

poolbee
10-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Unfortunatley I wasn't home when the pool guys caame to do my first closing. The light is out of the pool and just laying on the concrete. What am I do do with that? Should it be covered in some way.

Yet again, many thanks.

Phillbo
10-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Living in Arizona I am not familiar with closing up pools so, why did they take the light out in the first place ?

waste
10-05-2006, 07:40 PM
iIt should have been left in the pool, not removed (IMO). I've never removed one for the winter and have never seen a problem from leaving one in. If I were inclined to remove a light for the winter, I'd at least fully remove it by disconnecting the wire from the junction box and storing it inside. (As an educated guess, I'd say that having it out of the water will allow for 'dry-rot' of the gasket that seals the light, necessitating more frequent bulb and gasket replacements). Call the dudes and ask them why they removed the light (and please post the response, I'd love to know why they think it's a good idea)
If it's going to stay on the deck all winter, I'd put a pad (rubber, an old towel, whatever) under it and place the lens on the pad and cover the unit with a 5 gal bucket. (Hope to hear back from you with the pool dude's answer ;) )

KirstenHW
10-06-2006, 07:13 PM
We've always removed ours over the winter too. The gasket and bulb only went bad this year (after 23 years). We wrap it in a bag and store it under the diving board. If the general consensus is to leave it in, I'm willing to give it a try. It gets pretty cold here in the winter (lower Hudson Valley of NY state), so I am curious what folks from my neck of the woods do.

CanuckPool
10-06-2006, 08:56 PM
is it taken out to prevent ice from shattering the glass... a la what the gizmo in the skimmer does.

KirstenHW
10-07-2006, 01:40 PM
We were told by the original builder - and in out original manual from the pool (it's a Spartan) to do it. Maybe it is for the glass. I can see where the stress of freeze & thaw could do a number to it. I certainly wouldn't lower my water to below the light's level with a vinyl liner.

mizzouguy
10-18-2006, 02:41 PM
the first year....the pool company had mine attached to a jug with gravel and then put it on the bottom of the deep end.

the second year....a different company just left it in the socket.

Not sure what to do since I'm closing it this year. Is leaving it in place ok?

JohnT
10-18-2006, 03:55 PM
I'd suspect it has to do with the typical depth of ice you'll have. Here, ponds seldom freeze enough to ice fish, so I've never seen anyone remove the light. If the ice gets anywhere near thick enough to get to the light, it might be a problem. An empty niche would concern me if the ice was that thick though.:confused:

Poconos
10-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Don't have a light so don't really know but me thinks if water gets behind the waterproof light housing and freezes, the ice has to expand somewhere and could destroy the light housing.
Al