PDA

View Full Version : Pump slowly loses prime.

theboogins
04-19-2006, 06:43 AM
On startup I get nice prime, 25 psi at the filter and nice water flow back and from the pool. Over the course of an hour or so, the flow slowly decreases til eventually the pump just cavitates and stops moving water altogether.

Any clues?

Thanks.

JB

Beautye350
04-19-2006, 08:43 AM
I believe you may have an air leak somewhere in your system before the pump impeller. I experienced the same situation as you last year, it ended up being the pipe that comes into my superpump strainer basket I found a crack and it was letting a little air in which gets trapped there eventually forcing the pump to lose prime. If you can post a reply with your equipment the board may be able to help you better as some equipment have known trouble items. Good luck.

Regards,

Mark

dep78737
04-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Did you recently empty the pump strainer basket? The lid is a prime source of air leaks. Try some pool gasket lube (I hear vaseline is bad) on the o-ring, maybe even replace it. Worked for me a month or so ago.

theboogins
04-19-2006, 01:01 PM
That's what I'm thinking too. The o'ring on the basket looks sound-but I guess it's worth changing. I changed an o'ring on the impeller diffuser that was distorted, thought that would help, found that the four housing bolts connecting the pump to the basket were a little loose but tightening them had no effect.

This morning I backwashed the filter (did it yesterday also-this pool is still dirty from just being opened), re-applied DE and the pressure came up fine and for an hour or so, it appears to be pumping like it should.

Thanks.

JB

LucyP
04-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Same problem, I took off the o ring, rubbed silicon gel all over it, and it shut nice and tight and no more problems.