PDA

View Full Version : Where do you store all of your pool stuff for winter

poolbee
10-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Pool was closed today. They left the ladder and diving board against the fence. Where do those in freezing, snow covered tundra areas keep this stuff? I was thinking I'd just cover it with a tarp and leave it outside on the patio. Any problem with that? Can I keep my solar cover rolled up outside too?

Thanks.

Poconos
10-04-2006, 05:07 PM
I store the ladder, rails, diving board in a pool house. Solar gets rolled up and hung from the rafters in the basement / garage. My only concern about covering with a tarp is that critters like to build Winter homes in protected areas and some of those critters like to chew things. As for the freezing effect on a solar cover, I would guess that it wouldn't hurt it if you don't move it and have no standing water in it when you finally store it. The bubbles are thin and at cold temps they would become brittle and may be damaged if moved.
Al

MaryLee
10-04-2006, 05:09 PM
I put all that stuff in the basement for winter.....ladders, filter grids, chlorinator, return rings, hoses, etc...I put a cover on the heater and the pump & filter stay out as is....

poolbee
10-05-2006, 10:26 AM
A shed is on next years list and I don't have room in my garage, the basement is tight! Is there a problem with just leaving the diving board and ladder lying on the concrete, then, uncovered? It's a fiberglass board and a typical ladder. I guess I'll have to come up with something for the solar cover.
Is it necessary to cover the heater and pump? I hadn't planned on it.

chrisexv6
10-06-2006, 04:02 PM
I put a tarp with bungee cords around our filter tank.

I try to bring the multiport valve inside if possible (I have to cut the plumbing this year to do so....next years to-do list gets a quick disconnect on the return side).

This year I put the pump in the shed. Drain plugs open, and it shouldnt get below freezing in the shed so it will be fine. I also hang the ladders from a loft inside the shed.

As far as the diving board, I got tired of lugging it into my shed (we have a spring board so the base weighs a good 75 lbs and the board itself probably another 35 or so), so I just left it tipped over on the concrete (to minimize how much of the base and board actually touch the ground). I suppose the ladders wouldnt be bad left out there either, Id at least drape something over them.

Not sure about covering your heater........that might fall under covering your central A/C outdoor unit........lots of people say no because a cover will trap condensation and cause premature rust. I defer to others for the heater cover.

-Chris

KirstenHW
10-06-2006, 07:19 PM
We leave the diving board and slide out there (considering buying covers this year). The ladder comes out and either hangs on the fence or in the garage. The DE filter gets washed & drained and is put in the garage. We have a quick disconnect on the power supply for the pump. It gets drained (plugs in the basket for safe keeping) and sits in the garage next to the filter. Per my recent post, we usually leave the light wrapped up on the deck under the diving board. We have a RubberMaid storage shed we keep the rest of the small parts in (skimmer baskets, return eyes, extra plugs, DE powder).

CarlD
10-06-2006, 07:53 PM
I would definitely want to get the diving board in for the winter. I don't know the effect of extreme cold on a fiberglass device designed to bend and be springy.

waste
10-06-2006, 09:25 PM
I agree with Carl on the board, 12 months of UV + the ice & snow seem to be bad for them (I'm comparing ones that I take in to ones I don't that are ~ the same age). However, fully removing the stand can have adverse effects too, unless you take preventitive steps. The bolts need to be protected by graphite paste or waterproof grease, otherwise they will rust so badly that you no longer have the choice of removing them. Just a little helpful tip :)

duraleigh
10-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Hi, Ted,
The bolts need to be protected by graphite paste or waterproof grease That's a good tip. Do ya'll grease up the anchor bolts for ladders as well?

NWMNMom
10-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Our ladder is stored in a shed. The pump and multiport valve were brought in for the winter. Sand filter was drained and covered with the drain exposed so any additional can drip out. The solar cover was cleaned and rolled up on the ground mouted reel, bungied, covered with a poly cover (also bungied) and given a forward 1/2 turn each day to get any remaining moisture to fall out. It will stay out there for the winter. The area is protected from wind so it won't move much till spring.

KirstenHW
10-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Our board is 23 years old and we've had no problems with it. Maybe we've been lucky. THe gel coat is a little faded, (as is that of our boat), but other than that it seems fine. Liek I said, we're probably getting a cover for it though.

CarlD
10-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Some stuff goes in the basement, some in the shed.

waste
10-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi, Ted, That's a good tip. Do ya'll grease up the anchor bolts for ladders as well?
Dave, how're you doing these days?
I don't bother with the anchor bolts nor wedges, it's so rarely a problem that it's not worth the time. However, cleaning out the anchor cups is a good idea every few seasons. Nice 'seeing' you again :) -Ted

poolbee
10-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Our diving board stand has U shaped steel or aluminum legs and are cemented into the ground. Only the board comes off.
We spent the day cleaning and reorganizing the basement and found plenty of room for the equipment.
Thanks for the advise. I probably wouldn't have cleaned out my basement for a long while without it!