PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway???

mykidsintow
04-19-2006, 01:36 AM
To have a chemical free pool?? If so, how? If not, what is the "least chemical" method?

We are installing a liner pool. We have a special needs child and to this point have pretty much kept her chemical free. She has a very rare genetic disorder (1 in 117 known cases in the world). We would like to keep her enviroment chemical-free, but the pool will be a HUGE part of her therapy. She is very tiny and will remain small. She already has a compromised immune system, lung/airway problems.

Our pool people are trying to help us research safe alternatives for our family.

However, I figured you guys know as much or more than them anyway. We are researching Nature2, Ecosmarte, Stigma, oxyfree, etc.

We would appreciate any help or insight into this. Pls feel free to contact us anytime.

I guess lots of ppl generally ask for ideas. However, we feel this is something very important for our daughter. I was on a swimteam for 7 yrs.... chlorine is no big deal to me, my husband or even our son. We just need it to be safe for our daughter as well.

Thanks for any help/insight....

bethsg
04-19-2006, 08:12 AM
I would do serious research on a salt water chlorinator... it uses regular coarse solar salt, to convert to chlorine gas, and your pool is maintained with low 1-3 ppm chlorine levels...it's very easy to maintain, and the most important part if, if you learn about pool chemistry, and read these boards you will know exactly what you are putting into your pool. Most proprietary chemicals don't disclose on the labels the full list of materials which are going into your pool when you use those chemcials... I think what we learn on this forums is Grass Roots Pool Chemistry..... sounds like you need will need the plan with minimal chemical exposure.

JohnT
04-19-2006, 08:32 AM
To have a chemical free pool?? If so, how? If not, what is the "least chemical" method?

Short answer is no. What you really want is to find what sanitizing chemical will be easiest on your daughter. If you try some of the "alternative" solutions, most of which don't work or don't work very well, you risk exposure to bacterial and viral pathogens which would probably be far worse than the chemicals.

A pool can be safely maintained at a chlorine level in the same neighborhood as tap water. A chlorine generator is probably the best option for control of the level. The salt in the pool makes the water feel better on the skin and eyes because it is closer to the body's natural salinity.

You will probably have to be more meticulous than the usual pool owner in measuring chemical levels, but this wouldn't be a huge burden. You would also do well to ensure that your fill water is good to reduce the chemical additions that would be needed to compensate for high alkalinity, calcium or other dissolved solids.

I'm sure most people on this forum can tell you about having visitors comment on their water not smelling like a typical pool. I think Ben's philosophy is simple and easy to follow. Public pools operate at high chlorine levels with a strong smell due to the high biological contaminant load. Home pools can be like cool bathwater with a little care.

One last word: Don't believe anything a pool store employee tells you. They aren't necessarily crooked, but many of them have no real pool experience. The folks on this forum are selling nothing in the way of chemicals or treatment systems here, and those who have an interest in selling anything have to identify their interest in all of their posts.

falken
06-04-2006, 11:04 AM
I know your messages is a little old, but I figured I would chime in anyway.

I obviously don't know her exact condition and your reasons for wanting her enviroment chemical free, but if she has an immune system problem I would not even consider anything except for chlorine (SWG being my suggestion, but any form will do). It is the only agent that will ensure the pool remains bacteria and virus free.

If you give her a bath in normal tap water she is already exposed to the amount of suggested chlorine in a pool (our tap water tests in @ 2ppm).

I am immunosupressed, have a SWG, keep the free chrlorine at 3ppm, and love it! :)

My doctors just have a blanket recommendation of no pool use at all, but if it is a private owned pool and you are sure you always maintain proper chlorine levels they think its a great idea. They have no restriction about swimming in the ocean though, shows you how well they feel most pools are maintained. :)