PDA

View Full Version : Water got away...trying to catch up

jojasc
10-02-2006, 10:28 PM
First year with a pool and the water got away from us a little bit and now am trying to get it into shape so that we can close it.

I do not yet have a decent testing kit, but the following is what the pool store provided this evening:

CYA: 70
Total Chlorine: 3.6
pH: 8.4
Total Alkalenity: 184
Total Hardness: 263

How much liquid bleach do I need to use to raise my chlorine level to help me get rid of my pool that is now turning green? And at what frequency? Our pool is a 27 fooot above ground so I believe it to be approx. 17K gallons. I stopped on the way home and bought 12 gallons, just feel nervous getting started.

Thanks for your help as I begin my learning journey.
jojasc

Simmons99
10-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Without a test kit you will not be able to fix your pool easily - it will require about 3-4 trips to the pool store a day until you get everything fixed. Go to Wal-Mart and get a cheap 6-way test kit.

First off - add some acid to get your PH in the 7.4-7.6 range. Start by adding about 1/2 a gallon (for a 17,000 gallon pool). Wait for that to circulate for about an hour and then retest. Then add a cup at a time until you get it down to the correct range. ADJUST THE PH FIRST - once you add all the chlorine - your PH test will not be accurate.

Once your PH is in line - then you need to test your CYA. This is a stabilizer level - without your CYA level you don't know what level your chlorine needs to be at to shock the pool (kill the algae) without damaging your liner.

Once you have your CYA results - post back so we can help you!

jojasc
10-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the response. Just checked with the Wal-Mart near where I worked and they sent back all of their pool related items a month ago. :( I did receive a very basic Janco test with my pool but it only tests Chlorine to 3ppm so I guess for that I can use the shot glass method to test to shock level after following the steps you list to do first. I do not remember if it tests for pH, but now that I think about it my pH test for my aquarium water should work, right?

I will stop at Home Depot on the way home and pick up some Muriatic acid.

Should adjusting the pH have any impact on my CYA reading that I received from the pool store?

Thanks for the help,
jojasc

Watermom
10-03-2006, 07:07 PM
You might look at Home Depot or Lowe's to see if they still have any type of kits available.

dawndenise
10-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Adjusting your pH should not affect your CYA reading. In general terms, only draining out some of your water or splashing it out will decrease CYA.

Simmons99
10-04-2006, 06:49 PM
You can also take the sample to the pool store for a CYA test. Then look uo Ben's best guess chart at the top of the Chlorine forum to determine the shock level for your pool.

jojasc
10-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Here is where I am at today (the pool is still green), please let me know if I am on the right track:

Last night I adjusted the pH and it registered at 7.2.

Based on the CYA chart and the bleach calculator I calculated that I needed to add approx 4 3/4 gallons of bleach to obtain a chlorine level of 20 based on these original numbers (other than the pH I got adjusted to 7.2):
Total Chlorine: 3.6
pH: 8.4
Total Alkalenity: 184
Total Hardness: 263

This evening I went back to pool store to re-confirm CYA levels and also to confirm my chlorine levels as I was not getting an accurate reading using the shotglass method with my basic chlorine tester. (I can't wait for the kit I ordered to arrive!)

The numbers from tonights test are as follows:
Total Chlorine: 10
Free Chlorine: 8
pH: 8
Total Alkelanity: 149
Total Hardness: 294

Using the bleach calculator I believe I should now be adding just under 3 1/2 gallons of bleach tonight to get back to shock level at 20. Correct?

Also, are there any tricks to getting more accurate results with the shotglass method as I wait for a kit I ordered on-line to arrive this week?

thanks,
jojasc

dawndenise
10-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Unfortunately, no tricks to the shot glass method. You're seeing exactly why you need a good test kit for just such situations as the one you're experiencing. But, at least you've got one coming, so you'll be in better shape soon.:)

I think you're on the right track being conservative with the chlorine additions (using the higher FC readings as your basis for bleach additions) until your test kit comes in and you can get more consistent FC readings.

Perservere and bleach will get this cleaned up for you. Good luck.:)

aylad
10-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Keep in mind that the more often you test and add to get back up to the 20 ppm, the faster your pool is going to clear...if you let the Cl yo-yo up and down you're going to be wasting time and bleach....the key to clearing the pool is a constant shock level.

Janet

jojasc
10-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Here is where I am at this morning. Pool is no longetr green but is cloudy. I received my test kit this morning and here are the results of my first attempt:

Total Cholorine: 22.5
Free Chlorine: 21.5
pH: 7.8
Alk: 200 (this is significantly higher than last test at the pool store)
Tot Hardness: 375 (also significantly higher than what I last received from the pool store)

I have not yet completed the CYA test, pool store has consistnetly tested at 70

I backwashed the sand filter just now. Any input as to next steps?

thanks,
jojasc

jojasc
10-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Well I think I caught up with my water. I believe that the algae is under control, now the only issue I have remaining is that the water is cloudy, which based on what I have learned from the forums is probably due to my high alkalenity. Here are the test results from water test I just completed.

FC: 17.5
CC: .5
TC: 18.0
pH: 7.8
TA: 200
TH: 350 (I seem to get inconsistent results with this test?)

My plan from here is to continue to add chlorine to maintain shock level of 20ppm for at least one more day, adjust my pH slightly downward and then close the pool. Based on reading replies other posts it seems that it is OK to close with the cloudiness due to the high alkalenity levels and adjusting in the spring. Or should I use the lower the pH and aerate the water method to lower my alkalenity prior to closing?

Last question (for now). In using the "black dot" method to test CYA in the K-2006 test kit, could anyone shed some light on their opinion of what "just disappears" looks like as the directions indicate? This seems to be somewhat subjective in interpretation. Maybe I am being to nit picky as I try to learn....

Thanks all for your help.
John

aylad
10-08-2006, 06:59 PM
The cloudiness could simply be dead algae suspended in your water. Remember that the chlorine kills the algae, but the filter has to get it out of the water. Keep your pump on for the next couple of days and brush the pool daily, and see if that helps clear it up.

The CYa test is very subjective, it only really gives a close ballpark....the key to consistent results is to run your tests consistently every time...test in the same place, same light source at same intensity, etc. Then what YOUR interpretation of "dot just disappearing" is is what you do every time.

congrats on getting your water back under control again....

Janet