PDA

View Full Version : 40% Polyquat

jonv112
10-02-2006, 06:30 PM
I was just wondering as I have a bottle of algaecide that I used this year with the ingredients listing 40% poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride] and 60% inert ingredients. Has anybody else used this concentration of Polyquat before? I know that Wal-Mart used to sell Super-Algae Kill 40% by HTH. I still have 400mL left of the stuff. Will it do until I get some 60% next year?

waste
10-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Jon, I've posted before that it's the same active ingredient that's in 'poly 60', just more watered down. As the chemical is the same, it will do the same job, but you need to use more to do the same job (provide the same protection). In fact, you have to use 1.5 qts to do what 1 qt of 'poly 60' would do. As you have a supply of the 40%, use it (x 1.5) to do the same thing as the 60%

chem geek
10-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Yes, it should work fine, though you will need to use more of it by weight (or volume) than you would of PolyQuat 60%. The only problem with what you have is economics. However, if the price was less than 2/3rds the price of PolyQuat 60%, then you found something economical and the only problem is what exactly the "inert" ingredients are that you are also adding to your pool.

[EDIT] Whoops! waste wrote his post at the same time I was. Sorry for the duplicated info. [END-EDIT]

Richard

jonv112
10-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I got it at a closeout before somewhere. Now I'm trying to work out wether 1.5L of 40% or 1L of 60% will be cheaper. At my local pool store 1L of 60% is $29.95 CA. Is this price reasonable?