PDA

View Full Version : Pool Is Closed...Now What?

thelma
10-01-2006, 11:31 AM
I closed my new pool following Carl D's advice in the "sticky." My chemicals are fine, equipment is clean and in the basement and garage and my mesh cover is on. My question is now what do I do for maintenance over the next few months?
For example...

Since I closed, we've had almost an inch of rain. Can I add chemicals if I need to? How should I do that with no pump running.

I'm just really curious how you all handle things once you've closed up.

Thanks so much,

Thelma

CarlD
10-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Once it is closed, I don't do anything but watch the level. About once a month i check it and, if the water is too high, syphon some off. That is all I do until I open.

mkamp1515
10-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Closed already?...Too bad. We were swimming yesterday with the water at 81 degrees. Of course, I live in North Texas and the temp has been in the 90's the last few days. I actually would not mind cooler and wet weather even if it meant swim season was over. It will be soon. Have a great winter.

CarlD
10-02-2006, 11:10 AM
My water is down to 68. So I'm still maintaining it but the ladder and the drop-in steps are out, the solar panels are disconnected and the leakers have been removed for repair.

'Course, this is Northern NJ and the leaves are turning. Feels more like football weather than swimming.

thelma
10-02-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm in the Lower Hudson Valley of NY so the temps have been cool and my water was below 65 degrees when I closed. Plus the leaves are just beginning to fall so I figured why fight them anymore.

I envy you Texans right now. I had a four day weekend and would have loved to splash around rather than close up shop for the season.

Thelma

CarlD
10-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah, we have similar weather to you here in N. NJ.--I grew up in Ossining (yeah, where Sing Sing is), so I know how you feel.

rbonin
10-06-2006, 03:45 PM
It was cold in St. Louis for most of September and the swimming came to a halt with the water at 64-degrees. But last weekend we got some hot weather for a few days (low 90's). I fired up the heater and 12 hours later, we were swimming in 85-degree water. Can't wait for the gas bill!

~Rick~