PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Stabilizer

bethsg
04-18-2006, 10:18 PM
I went to Leslies to pick up some CYA for my Salt Water pool... and they were trying to sell me the new liquid CYA... and while it's tempting... I read the ingrediants I didn't see cynauric acid, so I passed on it... the regular granual CYA is such a pain to get disolved. ANyone see this new liquid CYA, or what is your tip for disolving the CYA? I put warm water in bucket, and keep mixing it, then spoon it into skimmer a little at a time... it takes a while to disolve.

aylad
04-19-2006, 12:40 AM
I just add mine via the skimmer and don't backwash for a week or two....

Janet

Sherra
04-19-2006, 11:04 AM
I saw someone else on here say they put their CYA granuals in a sock in the skimmer (I'm assuming they tie an knot in the open end of the sock:) )and let it slowly disolve that way. That sounds like a good idea...especially if you do anticipate having to backwash during the CYA add process. (I have to backwash after every time I vacuum due to the large amounts of sand that blow into my pool because I haven't gotten sod put down around it yet.) (Edited because apparently I can't put together a coherent sentence today.)

PoolDoc
04-19-2006, 12:29 PM
(I have to backwash after every time I backwash due to the large amounts of sand that blow into my pool because I haven't gotten sod put down around it yet.)
:confused: I've re-read that sentence 4 or 5 times, but I still have no clue what you were intending to say.

PoolDoc
04-19-2006, 12:31 PM
and they were trying to sell me the new liquid CYA... and while it's tempting... I read the ingrediants I didn't see cynauric acid, so I passed on it...

Can you provide an exact product name, and list of ingredients? If there's a patent number, that should help too.

They don't have it listed on their website.

But, I've learned the hard way, that it is generally very wise to avoid "NEW" pool chemicals. Most of them turn out to be "BAD" pool chemicals.

Ben

Sherra
04-19-2006, 01:03 PM
:confused: I've re-read that sentence 4 or 5 times, but I still have no clue what you were intending to say.That's because I typed that sentence at work and typed it wrong...I meant to say that I have to backwash after every time I VACUUM...duh...sorry...I'm easily distracted. :p

KurtV
04-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Sherra, You should be able to vacuum to waste instead of vacuuming and then backwashing. Same end result.

Sherra
04-19-2006, 01:34 PM
I feel like I'd be wasting way too much water that way though...it takes me 15-20 minutes to vacuum (I go very slowly - I'm a perfectionist about it) as opposed to backwashing until the water runs clear (usually 90-120 seconds) then rinsing. and

waterbear
04-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Can you provide an exact product name, and list of ingredients? If there's a patent number, that should help too.

They don't have it listed on their website.

But, I've learned the hard way, that it is generally very wise to avoid "NEW" pool chemicals. Most of them turn out to be "BAD" pool chemicals.

Ben Ben,
NaturalChemisty (the enzyme and phosphate remover people!) is selling a liquid stabilizer but you have to email them for the MSDS (as for all of their product line!) and it has not been approved for use in California.
Here is a link:
http://www.naturalchemistry.com/Pool/Storeplus/Store/viewConsumerItems.asp?idProduct=197

They claim it is not an acid but a salt and has a pH of about 8.
I wonder about this product myself. It is the only liquid stabilizer I have ever seen. Perhaps this is the one being referred to in this thread?

bethsg
04-19-2006, 09:51 PM
WaterBear, that is the exact product they tried to sell me... I recognize the bottle...I didn't see the words "cynauric acid" anywhere, so I said no thanks... I will patient and add my cya slowly but surely....

PoolDoc
04-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Ben,
NaturalChemistry

Here is a link:
http://www.naturalchemistry.com/Pool/Storeplus/Store/viewConsumerItems.asp?idProduct=197

I think caution is in order.

I don't like the scare tactics they use to sell against CYA . . . and the fact that they never refer to any cyanurates makes me suspicious.

Before CYA was applied to pools, some old time pool guys used ammonia (to generate monochloramine) or sulfamic acid (to generate some UV stable chlorine / sulfamate compounds). Both these approaches were far less satisfactory than CYA stabilization. But, the fact that the Nature Chem writers mention no patents, makes me think they may be trying to use one of these old methods. Most likely, the MSDS will tell, which may be why they are not making them available online.

Usually when people hide something . . . it's because they've got something to hide.

Ben