PDA

View Full Version : Train a dog w/ Pools

Pool_Mike
09-26-2006, 04:52 PM
:D

http://cgi.nationalgeographic.com/channel/video/cgi-bin/NGPortal.pl?bitrate=400k&clip=52438893

doggie
09-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Cesar is excellent!

I wonder, had you known of him before I posted about his show in your other thread?

Pool_Mike
09-26-2006, 09:58 PM
nope I dont know him.

Cesar is one of a kind. Brotha has skills!! ;)

I am going to be doing the "shock" treatment to our lab (shock collar). She is stubborn, spadded and still extremely hyper pup. :cool:

matt4x4
09-27-2006, 07:58 AM
Shock collars work extremely well (if the dog is trained properly on it).
You have to train your dog for about a week to establish the boundary, it works so excellent, we had a trail 10 feet in from the wire that the dog created running his property patrol laps for the first year we had the collar.
I have 1/2 mile of wire around our place, it worked well on our dog (Lab/collie/shephard mix) for over a year, then he decided it's time to outsmart the collar, he would sit in the warning zone until the beep ran the battery down, after that, he learned that he was free. After a while of replacing batteries, he decided that running through the zone wasn't too bad for the reward (freedom) on the other side and beat sitting in that "noisy spot" for 2 days, he even came home through the zap before us so we would not get wise to his mischief - thank god for the telephone calls from neighbours alerting us.
So, to end this nonsense, I bought the stubborn dog collar, he doesn't go within 40 feet of the wire anymore, and he learned real quick that running down the battery is no longer an option since the stubborn dog collar is smart and zaps if the dog continues to stay in the warning zone for more than 10 seconds.
Once again, our dog is free to roam our land, but tied enough not to leave it. We have a new trail around the perimeter - 30 feet further from the wire which is his new patrol loop.

joliecharlie
09-27-2006, 05:26 PM
I own two Labradors now and have had labradors for 14 years. All are/were trained to the invisible (shock) fence, with little effort on our part I must say. They are eager to please and respond to reward more than punishment.
Labs must be exercised to the point of near exhaustion ( we use a tennis racket and hit ball after ball after ball,) we watch their individual signs that they are nearing the point of falling over.... our black one drops her ball a few feet away from the launching point or takes a quick run across the pool steps to grab a drink and cool her tummy. Chocolate girl's tongue goes out sideways. ANYhoo, my point is they will not chew, run away or otherwise be destructive IF they are well exercised and TOO TIRED! Just like Cesar says!
P. S. 'point of exhaustion' is just a term to describe the level of activity it requires to get these dogs tired. One or two tosses of ball just doesn't do it.

Phillbo
09-27-2006, 07:27 PM
I've got a real killer of a dog and no one comes into the yard if the value their ankles :eek:

Pool_Mike
09-27-2006, 10:08 PM
:eek: Sami looks like a buff one. Those ankle dogs are great for football season and practice punt offs or field goal kicks :p . Kidding what a little cutie!!

=========

Yesterday it scared the *&^% out of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes our pup is chained up and really get no exercise, but that is due to construction still in our yard.

So anyways,, I caught her doing it. While chained, she hopped on top of her dog house and from there try to get over a 8' privacy fence. She tried and fell.

I did not see it, but my 9 yr old son witness the crime.

But I ran outside and she could not get up on her hind legs. I was scared for the moment that she had thigh issues, but the breader assured me that his blood line of dogs will not have that issue.

Anyways,,, I ran over to her rescue, kind of picked up her hind area and she feel back down. Not even a tear or whine out of her. So I attempted again and she slowly got her strenght back. I unleased her and in about 20 secs she was running around the pool and chasing the ball. So it was not a leg issue, it was due to no exercise. I am guilty. We made coupld of walks on the leash and she pulls harder on my shoulder then a 12guage shot gun with a buck shot. She is that strong. I can't wait to get the shock collar and startworking with her. She does not deserve to be chained and I am guilty as charged :(

Simmons99
09-28-2006, 10:55 AM
I've got a real killer of a dog and no one comes into the yard if the value their ankles :eek:

I hear you there - a lady down the street has a dog that looks just like him - but the dog gets out all the time and isn't neutered and follows us home and tries to bite my dog.... Hate that dog - but your's is cute:p

Simmons99
09-28-2006, 11:00 AM
So it was not a leg issue, it was due to no exercise. I am guilty.

That is also why she is so hyper and will tear up your stuff. A tired dog=a good dog. We take our boxer pup (18 weeks) on two 30-minute walks every day.

Try Cesar's book "Cesar's Way" - it really helped us understand what we needed to give our dog so that the dog does what you want.

This is our baby :D
http://www.philsimmons.com/family/gallery/pics/398.jpg

Pool_Mike
09-28-2006, 10:06 PM
That is also why she is so hyper and will tear up your stuff. A tired dog=a good dog.

I can agree, but let me tell you about the shock collar I received today.

All I am going to say is wow!! With'in 1 hour my dog obeyed and even walked on leash around my pool along my side. Never ever she did that ever!!!

The shock collar works very well. Best 100.00 investment I ever did to benefit the pooch. ;)

MarkC
09-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Is the colar waterproof. What brand did you buy?

Pool_Mike
09-29-2006, 09:09 PM
yes. its waterproof.

I got the The SportDog PST-105 setup. Love it!! :cool:

Pool_Mike
05-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Ok, this is getting bad. Our lab is constantly jumping in the pool. Looks like shock collar time once again.

cleancloths
05-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Petsmart or their premium brand Innotek are the best systems. We have three siberian huskies and people always say the collars don't work on them - but out three are great on the collars. They lives outside at least 18 hours a day.

We recently bought a transmitter that works inside also. It will put out a small adjustable field and we use it to keep the dogs out of the living room.