PDA

View Full Version : Cover pump

pool newby
09-23-2006, 10:17 PM
After a day of heavy rainfall, 10 inches (geez !), I need to drain some of the water off my winter cover. I have been looking around for an inexpensive pool cover pump. I'm wondering if the cheap hand siphon pumps work ok? , or is there a better model ? Also, how much water should remain on the cover ? Should some be left on the cover to help the cover stay in place, from wind getting up and under the cover?

thanks

Bob P.
E Tn.

NWMNMom
09-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Many of the cover mfg recommend at least 1" or so to keep the cover in place.

waste
09-24-2006, 01:58 PM
You can use a garden hose to syphon the water off (for now, once the water freezes it's not gonna happen). As your pool probably has 52" walls, a shorter hose would be easier. All you have to do to start a syphon is fill the hose with water (i would do it with the water on the cover (method available on request)) cap with palm of hand, and bring the capped end below water level and 'let it flow'. If you want to invest in a 'cover pump', that will also work - if you want to spend more $, you can get one with a pressure switch so that it turns itself on and off when the water is high enough.

tribe_fan
09-24-2006, 05:35 PM
I like the electric pump that cost about $70 from Lowes. Hooks to a Garden hose.

pool newby
09-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the replies, I had an old garden hose that I was going to toss anyway, and cut it to size, and the siphon method is working like a charm. I'm always ready to save $$$ anywhere possible. Now, I just gotta watch it, and make sure I leave about an inch on top, and don't drain the whole thing.

Bob P
E Tn
pool newby

Mom2Czars
10-15-2006, 10:29 PM
As I've been dealing with a leaky pool since closing, I've had lots of time to perfect my cover draining skills (always look on the bright side, right?)

I've been using my pool vacuum hose as the siphon hose, getting it started with suction from a small wet/dry vac. Works like a charm. You just have to keep the vac hose under water of course not to lose suction. Once you get it set, the water is gone lickety split.