PDA

View Full Version : Backwash hose ideas??

Pool_Mike
09-22-2006, 11:16 PM
My hose for my backwash popped about a week ago, but that was the pbs fault. Now my hose is only 12' long.

I need at least 25' of hose to run it to the back of my yard, which on the other side is a city drain system. Any ideas on what-else to use then a backwash hose?? Seem the hose goes zippy like a wild snake. I was told to try the PVC pipe methood. Any ideas??

KurtV
09-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Fire hose. Available on Ebay. This thread (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1753&highlight=fire+hose)explains the thread issue (pun fully intended).

Pool_Mike
09-22-2006, 11:57 PM
Kurt,

Thanks. Will read all of that.

It was funny today, since the hose was only about 12' long and then backwashing I was soaked and so was the property fence. I could not hold it and just let is spray like crazy for about minute or two. lol

Davenj
09-23-2006, 07:07 AM
I ran about 150' of 2" PVC. Ran around along the fence on the ground to the side walk. I had a screw on coupling to add a 10' piece to reach the curb. I recently burried it and put a black drain box on the end at the side walk. This way I can hook a piece on the pipe with a coupling to span the distance to the curb. Drain box has holes in the bottom with rock in it. So the pipe can drain when disconnected and there is no standing water. I connected the pipe to the filter with a piece of reinforced hose.

Pool_Mike
09-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Davenj,

PVC is really my idea and to run it also along the fence and run it off into the ditch behind our privacy fence.

If you are using 2" pvc, what kind of coupling/attachment did you use to securely attach it to the valve?
Thanks

Phillbo
09-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Mine is plumbed into the sewer line but I have seen set ups where the line is run to the cleanout. Is that an option for you ?

waste
09-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Hi all, good and sound ideas, but the simplest is to use the vac hose (unless you're vacuuming to 'me' ;) ). The blue plastic, roll-up flat, type hoses are cr^p! Could go on, but I've proffered my $.02.

digger01
09-28-2006, 11:36 AM
My hose had a kink in it which i told my 6 yr old to go take a look, well it exploded right when he got to it.... LOL it was as load as a gun and the water soaked him from head to toe..... since then my hillside has failed a little and the concrete guy said he wont be able to pour the sidewalk

I like the pvc idea, mabe into a large can with holes to help dispurse the flow

MarkC
09-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Mine is plumbed into the sewer line but I have seen set ups where the line is run to the cleanout

You don't mean the same line that your toilet runs to do you. Our township is pretty strict about adding water to the sewage system unneccesarily. Storm sewer would probably be OK.

traceyb
10-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Very simple and hidden is to use 2" pvc piping. By the coupling and glue them all together until you get your 25'. I bought the angled one for the end and and attached a piece that would take the screw cap for the winter months. I used my tiller with the two end tines off and tilled up the yard about 4-6 inches deep and buried it. Under the angled piece that sticks up out of the ground close to the filter, I placed 1 red brick behind and up against it for stability while I backfilled around it. This allows us to use only about a 4-5 ft hose that inserts into the angled attachment and flows nicely to the woods.
At your hardware store study the parts...you'll get it.
Good luck.
I'd attach a photo, but it's mostly under the ground HA HA

Pool_Mike
10-06-2006, 09:52 AM
~~ Update ~~

I still have not done anything.

But I tried to be macho and had my wife turn on the pump while I hold the hose on the other end.

End results was a mess and I got wet.

Let me tell you, it is a pain in the @$$ holding that hose and then putting it up.

Man I really want to get away from this hose. I was told that Home Depot sells some what like a water hose that goes from your filter backwash connection and there is a nozel on the other end that you spray like a gun.
Is this BS or not? Is there something like that???

Many thanks for all the great ideas.

Pool_Mike
10-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Anyone here know if you could use an pool vacuum hose as your backwash hose??

Like this: http://www.cheappoolproducts.com/Swimming~Pool~Vacuum~Deluxe~Super-Loop~Hose_120_2790~product.html

KurtV
10-10-2006, 07:48 AM
According to Waste you can (about five posts up) and I've yet to see him steer anyone wrong.

Pool_Mike
10-10-2006, 10:16 AM
According to Waste you can (about five posts up) and I've yet to see him steer anyone wrong.

I must of missed that one. :( I'll give that a shot.

waste
10-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Mike, if you go with the vac hose, be sure to put the 'vac head end' at the effluent end (the end that 'swivles' will make a huge puddle if connected to the multiport). Also secure it with a SS clamp to keep it from getting blasted off.

(Thanks Kurt!)

brittmer
10-11-2006, 04:17 PM
I use PVC buried just under the ground but the end sticks out on a hillside. The only problem with this is that the water creates a hole in the ground where it shoots out the end of the pipe.
I would like to put a pop-up head on the end like a sprinkler system uses but not sure if there will be too much pressure.

Bruce

nater
10-20-2006, 03:00 PM
I would think PVC would be a cheaper alternative to buying a long vacuum hose. (Not including your time and labor to bury it).

I attached a union joint to my waste line, ran PVC under ground, then ran 50' of 4" corrugated drainage pipe to my fence. There I buried a bucket with drainage rock to help dissipate the flow and prevent a huge puddle. Of course, I did all this before the landscaping went in and my builder provided most of the materials for free :)

Anyway, its virtually invisible now and the plumbing at the pump looks very neat. You can't tell when I backflush unless you know where to look.