PDA

View Full Version : Decking delima

SeanB.
09-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Hmmm...I just got a letter from the contractor who does Sundek in Houston. Apparently they will no longer be working with my builder and inform me that they will not do my decking. They don't say why, but do say that they are the only authorized dealer in Houston so unless they work something out with the builder, I won't have Sundek available as an option. I did call the Sundek people and asked if they would finish the pools that had already been contracted. I was told that they are negotiating that right now - seems like that would be the professional thing to do.

I've got a call in to the builder to see what their position is and what my options are. I'm guessing that they will suggest just using Kook Deck or something else. I haven't really been able to find much information on Kook Deck though - can't tell if it's really and apples to apples comparison. Anyone have experience with Kool Deck brand? If it's a cheaper product, and they do offer it, I want to know what I'm getting. At the very least, I would ask for additonal decking. Or, maybe we'll just go with all flagstone - don't know how much I'd like all that flagstone though; seems like it would be harder to keep clean.

At this point I'm just thinking outloud since I haven't spoken with the builder yet. They may have other options I haven't considered.

eljefe281
09-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Sean, I can't help you with your decision, but you might want to find out from Sundek what caused the dissolution of the relationship with RTBS.

If it's something alarming, you may want to post that on the board.

eljefe281
09-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Also, is there any way you could get a 100% refund on your decking cost from RTBS and contract directly with the Sundek outfit?

SeanB.
09-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Sean, I can't help you with your decision, but you might want to find out from Sundek what caused the dissolution of the relationship with RTBS.

If it's something alarming, you may want to post that on the board.

I'm sure it's nothing alarming. In fact, I almost said so in my original post because I thought people might jump to conclusions.

It was very clear from the letter and the way that it was worded that they are not going to disclose the nature of their problem, nor should they. The fact that they spoke positively of Richard's in the letter leads me to believe it is simply a business decision - probably couldn't agree to a contract rate or something of that nature.

As far as going around Richards, that is not something I would consider even if it were allowed, which I doubt it is. Richard's has been doing a good job and I will work with them to find a solution. I don't want to have to contact multiple companies later if there is ever a warranty or repair issue.

I'd love to hear comments on my question though.

Thanks

SeanB.
09-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Dilema resolved: My pb and the Sundek contractor have worked out a solution to complete the existing jobs. I don't know what their relationship will be beyond that though.

However, without going into detail, when I learned the nature of the problems between my pb and the sub, I've opted to go with another decking installer also used by my pb. It is the exact same product, purchased from the same factory, but without the liscensing. Sundek only allows one dealer per city/sales area. However, the product, color (even color name), installation, and warranty will all be the same.

If you live in Houston and are considering Sundek, send me an e-mail or pm and I can provide you with a little more detail.

eljefe281
09-23-2006, 05:25 PM
That's good news, Sean.

Glad it worked out.