PDA

View Full Version : Convert to Liner/Old Sinking in Gunite Pool

hairydawgs
04-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Have you heard of people that convert from gunite to a liner?
I have an old gunite pool that has settled a 2-2.5 inches in the deep end. I have expansion cracks in the middle that I just refill with exoxy putty each year that seems to keep a handle on it but have to stay on it.
I don't think over the past 4-5 years it has sank anymore, but looks bad. I want to repour the decking so it is all level. I have heard that I can re-gunite the pool, but I am ready for a liner.
Have you heard of people that convert to a liner?

Thanks!!

bobyoe
04-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Yes, I have a friend who has an old gunite pool that has just had its second liner. The first one tore when it was drained to scrub the liner. I think he realizes that he shouldn't do that again! BUt that sinking problem, are you it's resolved? Because it seems a line would definitely tear if the bottom continues to shift....

hairydawgs
04-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Any advice on what to put behind the Liner? or is the Gunite just fine since it is already contoured?

hsdancer
04-19-2006, 08:33 AM
The gunite will rough on the vinyl liner. Any imperfections in the surface will stick out -- we can feel a grain of sand beneath our liner. With brushing and vacuuming, any raised spot will wear through first.

We have a liner pool and have been really happy with the feel and function of the base under our liner: a vermiculite/cement combination (information available on the this site: http://www.schundler.com/swim.htm). People who swim in our pool notice that the bottom is a lot easier on them -- like the difference between a concrete and wood floor.

We got the vermiculite from an agricultural supply company and cement from local home supply and had excellent results. MUCH cheaper than the pre-mixed stuff. We also found that before the liner is installed, sanding down any and all rough spots and vacuuming the entire surface was as important as the troweling. We have a 40,000 gal pool, and it doesn't take as long as you'd think -- just a half day. It's worth it for the perfectly smooth finish. Got that advice from someone else who built their own pool, did not do that final smoothing, and forever regretted it.

Oh, one more thing. If you use vermiculite, you'll need medium grade vermiculite, not fine or course.

Joie

bobyoe
04-19-2006, 08:53 AM
For behind the liner, can't they put the same foam they use when building a new vinyl lined pool? That would minimize the effect of bumps in the gunite, wouldn't it? I'll check with my friend today on what is between her gunite and liner.

duraleigh
04-19-2006, 09:55 AM
For behind the liner, can't they put the same foam they use when building a new vinyl lined pool? That would minimize the effect of bumps in the gunite, wouldn't it? I'll check with my friend today on what is between her gunite and liner.

I built my own concrete pool and installed a liner from the beginning. I did use the same foam that they use for a new IG construction. I used it on the walls and steps....did a nice job.

You'll still need to get the gunite smooth, or as stated above, you'll feel almost everything. The foam compresses to about 1/16th of an inch at a depth of around 3 feet but it still does a nice job.

Dave S.

bobyoe
04-19-2006, 06:15 PM
I checked with my friend and she said yes, they did put that foam behind the liner. They are going into the third year on this new liner with no problems.

waste
04-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Conversion from concrete to liner is most certainly possible, I've even done it 5 times. However, the key to the process is a stable (!) shell with which to work. In your case, solving the sinking deep end must be the first priority. Whatever way you choose to re-do your pool, if the hopper keeps dropping out on you, you'll always have a problem with the pool (and if the bottom drops out, the liner's warranty is void).
I don't want to go into too much detail until I know more specifics on what is being planned (3 of the 5 have had some form of 'nightmare' involved in the conversion).
Wall foam is nice behind the walls of a liner pool but, there are reasons it's called 'wall' foam - again, more on that if you need it. But you will want to pad the liner from the ~rough concrete, however there are pitfalls with doing it.
I'd love to be able to give you a quick and comprehensive answer, but there are too many variables and I probably couldn't cover everything in one 3 page post, so for now - figure out what you can do about the sinking deep end, I'll keep my eye on this thread ( I will probably '"QUOTE" and respond' to a few of the suggestions already posted when I have the time over the next few days)
Good luck with your project! - Keep me (us) informed and I'll pipe in with advice and thoughts or suggestions :)