PDA

View Full Version : closed the pool, but there is a leak

clayw1963
09-20-2006, 03:53 PM
I closed my pool about 2 weeks ago (24' round above ground). Drained it just below the skimmer. Put the cover on. I was out by the pool this weekend and noticed it was damp around one side. I pulled the cover back and there is only about 2 feet of water left in the pool, so there is a leak somewhere.
Should I get someone out to find the leak now, or keep a watch and if it doesn't loose anymore water will the pool be ok until spring. I'm not sure how much water has to be left in there to not do any damage.
Also, is it worth trying to find the leak, or should I just have the liner replaced?
As always, thanks for the help.

Poconos
09-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Clay,
A lot depends on the age of the liner as they get brittle. If you have freezing or cold weather issues they get brittle too. In any case if the level continues to drop you will probably lose it in any case. I don't know AG pools though and someone else will comment. Personally I'd try and find the leak and fix it. There are techniqies for patching in cold water so you don't have to get in. I did it last Spring in my IG pool at the deep end.
Al
Edit: Forgot...with little or no water you run the risk of the sides collapsing.

matt4x4
09-21-2006, 07:17 AM
2 feet of water is not enough, like Poconos stated, your sides will likely collapse over the winter.
You have one of 2 choices, and I would guess it should be decided by the age/condition of your liner.
If your liner is 9+ years old, I would likely replace it since you will end up incurring more and more leaks anyways, however, if it's a relatively young liner, patching it makes sense to me.
I patched mine last year after putting a tiny hole into it while removing my steps. The patch held over the winter but needed replacing shortly after I opened the pool - fine with me since I managed to do the temporary fix from outside the pool.
In your case, with just 2 feet of water, you might as well get in and fix it, maybe you can get a hold of hip waders so you don't even get cold feet.
Likely, at this point it's right where the wet spot is at the current water line, so it should be real easy to find.
Once patched, keep the cover off it to collect rain to top it up again - probably the perfect time of year for this, if you have lots of leaves and don't want to do this, then cut a square in your cover (middle), and sew or staple (stainless staples) a mesh material into that square, this will allow the water to get through to help bring your water level up, and at the same time keep debris out.
Good luck with the patch.

Poconos
09-21-2006, 09:20 AM
If you decide to patch, check this thread especially my post #9.
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=101&
Al