PDA

View Full Version : pool deck

kanane
04-18-2006, 09:54 AM
hi have a 15x30 ew pool and planning to build a deck.I was trying to descide
what to use for the decking.i have a composite deck that the pool deck will
attach to. the composite deck get so hot you can walk on it with bare feet.
i was thinking of using marine plywood and covering it with indoor outdoor
carpet like the stuff used on aluminum decks.does anyone have any pros or cons about using the marine plywood and indoor outdoor carpet.
thanks.

hrsdennis
04-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Hi, the deck in this photo was sealed and then carpeted with indoor, outdoor. It has been three years now and still in very good condition. Pay a little extra for a good grade of carpet and you should be fine.

http://www.shadebuilder.com/poolshade.html

matt4x4
04-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Marine plywood - even though the name implies water, is not really a great product to be lying flat and collecting water - no wood is - I don't care how well you seal it - marine plywood does well if it's upright and allows for moisture to drain down the face.
I would recommend doing the deck in composite, there are several types, all with advantages and disadvantages, from research for doing my deck, I found it best if you buy a composite with 49% wood fiber, a light finish and rough surface, it will be comparable to wood WRT heat. If you buy composite that contains a higher percentage plastic or vinyl (worse) and has a smooth finish you will get more heat.
Finish has a lot to do with the heat transfer to your skin.