PDA

View Full Version : New pool installation.. yes, in September.. :-/

phooka
09-16-2006, 03:33 PM
I've been reading the forums for a bit now, thought I'd poke my nose out.

I ordered/have been waiting for a new 18x33 sharkline oceanic. It's finally sitting in my garage and the installer is supposed to be here tomorrow. Yah I know, it's september - but I thought I'd get a jump on the spring :-) (and there was a "sale").

Any tips or suggestions to bug the installer about, beyond the obvious? My backyard awaits the skidsteer and I have 4 1/2 tons of sand piled up with a tarp over it. I'm really anxious to see it go up, even though I'm unlikely to be able to use the thing till next spring :-(

I'm still eyeballing a heatpump for the thing. Maybe I could at least open early that way..

dale

CliffTex
09-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Congrats on the new pool!

I just put my pool up last weekend (finally finished) after many hours of my brother in-laws help. We are here in Central Texas where many hot days are left and will still get plenty of pool time. What I learned during during my DIY installation was how important being absolutly level was. Make sure the installer is using a laser level (which I did not have) throughout every phase of the installation. Also, I am not sure what kind of base you have but make sure your chances of settling are reduced to a minimum. What I thought was only a 1/2" rise between each side of my pool ended up being 2" after the thing was full.:eek: No walls are bulging nor do I have any buckles but my pool is just perfectly slanted from one side to the other. It was nice that I got it level in a slanted kinda way ;). Anyhow, lesson learned and that extra $60 for a laser level would have avoided me from my personal eyesore (slaps forehead) for a few years to come. Most everyone says they can't hardly tell it is just the fact that I know it is there that bothers me.

Anyhow, Good luck and enjoy your new pool!

Cornelious 16x26x52" AG
Old Junkie Sand Filter & Pump :o
Jacuzzi Landslide 55 DE Secondary Filter :D
1" Dow Pink Foam Bottom W/Foam Cove :cool:

phooka
09-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks.. we're a little behind schedule as it is.. (isn't that always the case?) They were here today with the bobcat and a transit leveling things.. I was 18" out DOH! I paid close attention to the leveling process and I'm pretty happy so far.

There's alot of frigg'n dirt to distribute around the yard today. Wife took pix and I'll post soon. The come back tomorrow and said they'd be done by 6pm.

I considered doing the pool myself, but it'd take me weeks to finish given my back condition. I had an annular tear about 3 years ago and life just hasn't been the same since. I dread trying to backfill all that dirt. Uhg.

dale

traceyb
09-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Don't sweat the back filling. HA! Just a fair warning. Once the pool is full you can start backfilling. It is easier to get on it as opposed to waiting till the dirt becomes hard and clumpy. Make sure to put a few inches higher against the pool wall for water drainage away from the walls. I did all mine with a shovel and then a good ol buddy ol pal w/ a tractor came and barely scraped the existing good grass but enough to smooth what I had left to do. They only dug down to level about 8 inches, but their was still alot of dirt to move. They were also nice enough to take a majority of it to a low spot in my yard. Being zoysia grass it popped right back up after a month or two. Do trust, it will be a muddy mess until you either deck, landscape or grow grass back around. I am still cursing the dust bunnies. My perfect little yard is now messy, but we intend to start the deck next month.
Good luck