PDA

View Full Version : Solar Cover & UV

Jakebear
09-15-2006, 09:50 PM
I need to buy a new solar cover for next year and am wondering about the clear ones that supposedly allow more heat through and is the “Ultimate” in pool covers. (10-year guarantee):)

Will the clear covers allow the sun to breakdown the chlorine just like not having a cover on?? Obviously some of the reasons for the solar covers are to save chemicals, prevent evaporation and retain and add heat.

Can’t help but wonder about the saving chemicals claim.:rolleyes:

Any thoughts from the experts????

PhantomAndy
09-16-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm not expert - but I wouldn't put much stock in a 10 year warranty on a solar cover. Most around here will tell you 3 years is about average.

I purchased my current cover from SPP.com because it's a one piece extruded cover. Most solar covers are 2 piece covers where the top (flat part) and bottom (bubbled part) of the cover are actually glued together.

2 piece covers will delaminate and start to fall apart in about 2 - 3 years. I'm hoping that this one piece cover will last longer - many say that they do.

Regarding clear/blue/black/silver colored covers. The cover does most of it's good by holding in heat by stopping evaporation when the outside air temperature is below the pool's water temp. The ability of a cover to help 'add' heat to your water is mostly negligible compared to leaving the cover off during bright sunny days. You will get the most heat increase with the cover off, regardless of the color (IMHO)

Chemical savings are speculative as well. Keeping the cover on, regardless of color, should stop some UV penetration into your water. This should make your chlorine last a bit longer, but as I said above your heat gain will be greater with the cover off duirng sunny times of the day, which of course will cause you to lose cl quickly.

My opinion is that solar covers should be called heat blankets - they function best to retian heat at night.

Just my opinions.