PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean the Pool Pump

slater1182
09-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Storms in the Phoenix area has overloaded my pool with leaves and debris.

Leaves have gotten past the "hair basket" on the pool pump. When I remove the basket and reah inside the pump I can feel leaves "restricting" the motor.

what is the best way to open up the motor/pump for cleaning :) Is it ok to unsrew that black knob in the picture and clean the motor?

tenax
09-06-2006, 12:55 PM
i don't see any other way you could it thorougly ( i mean, spraying water into it likely won't work if the pressure of water flowing through didn't...i guess you could try using long handled pliars to pull stuff out if you didn't think there was a lot and were shy about taking the pump apart but yeah..like cracking an egg shell and see what's inside..it really shouldn't have more than small bits of leaves though..they should be shredded small enough to go up to the filter and out when you backwash or send to waste..is your basket damaged?

Poconos
09-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Sure looks like that band allows the pump chamber to come apart. Slick, try it. I'd bet the parts that the band holds together have a large O-ring for sealing. Most that would happen is the O-ring would have to be replaced. Also get a tube of silicone grease for the ring when you put it back together. And like Tenax said, you should not be getting big stuff to this point in the syetem.
Al

tenax
09-06-2006, 09:39 PM
i've had mine apart..it's no biggie..just be careful when you put it back together..over tightening that band can crack the housing if you get too excited:)