PDA

View Full Version : Can't raise ph

aguaguy
09-05-2006, 10:14 PM
I can't seem to raise my Ph above the low end of 7.0-7.2
Over the last 3 days I have added 1 1/2 cups of borax (1/2 cup every 24hours) and the ph has not changed. It seems stuck on this. I do have tri chlor in a "frog" chlorinator but it really does not put any appreciable chlorine in the pool possibly because I only have to run the pump 3 hours to turn over the water 2 1/2 times. I use liquid chlorine and the bleach calc
The water is and always has been crystal clear
Ph 7-7.1
FC 2 -3
CC 0
TA 100
CYA 40
CH 100

6600 gal fiberglass pool
Hayward 300sq ft cartridge filter

Watermom
09-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Continue adding Borax. It will come up. You don't necessarily have to wait 24 hours between additions. When I am adjusting my ph, I test and add Borax twice a day plenty of times. As long as you let your water circulate long enough for it to mix thoroughly, you can go ahead and retest.

duraleigh
09-05-2006, 10:29 PM
I'll bet your pH will come up nicely if you take out the Frog. It's putting out very, very low pH Tri-chlor 24/7 whether the pump is running or not.

I'm puzzled why you use the Frog and liquid chlorine both?

aguaguy
09-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the reply I will continue to add the borax and am going to try to circulate the water with the frog chlorinator pak (the tri chlor tabs removed} I am puzzled as to how the frog puts chlorine in the pool as it is connected after the filter on the return line

duraleigh
09-05-2006, 11:30 PM
I thought the Frog was a floater....not in-line. Sorry I misunderstood your first post.

Getting that tri-chlor out of your pool will still make a difference in your pH...sometimes a fairly dramatic difference. That coupled with the Borax should have you where you want to be soon. (Although, I would be comfortable with a pH @ 7.0-7.2 as long as it was tested pretty often and it sure sounds like you do.)