PDA

View Full Version : Low Alkalinity/PH = Big Trouble

Airren
09-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Hi. After having low alkalinity and low PH for quite awhile, we fixed the alkalinity problem and have got the ph to normal levels. However, after running the filter we have green water and what looks to be orange residue all over the pool's sides and bottom. I am guessing this is corrosion particles cleaning out of the filter(?). It is kind of hard to get off. Does anyone know what we should do? Should we drain the pool and clean it with bleach? Should we use a product like "Metal Out" to help clean it up? We've already flushed the filter. We have a fiberglass pool. Any advice would be most welcome! Thank you.

JohnT
09-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Get a water test to check for metal. Adding anything without test information is a bad idea.

mbar
09-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Welcome to the forum:) I see that you have posted in the alk forum also, It is a good idea not to double post - you will get better feedback if you just post in one forum and all of your answers will be in one place. It would help if you give us some more info - what kind and size pool, what your chemistry was and is now, what kind of pump and equipment you have, like a heater, or plumbing that may have corroded. It is hard for us to give you a good answer without some history.

Airren
09-05-2006, 11:25 AM
The pool size is 12' x 26' and only 9000 gallons. The problem was the alkalinity level was being ignored - it was very low, non existent. PH did not register at all on the testing kit we have. The water was tasting bad.

We use regular chlorine - no heater - Hayward pump.

When we increased the alkalinity orange residue appeared on the surfaces of the pool.

Anyway, I just called my pool guy. He said that it is metal that was purged from the water after raising the alk.

Thanks.

*Yes I know I made a mistake by posting twice (I did apologize in the post I make in this section). I swear I won't do it again. Have a wonderful day.

duraleigh
09-05-2006, 11:28 AM
The first step would be to post a complete set of current test results. pH, Alk, FC, CC (if you can), and CYA. Given those numbers, the forum could make some fairly good assessments of your water issue(s).

Without them, it would be pure speculation.

Airren
09-05-2006, 11:31 AM
OK. Thanks. I know I should have the readings for you guys.

mbar
09-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Yes, it sounds like metals, did he suggest you put in a sequestering agent? You don't want the metals to fall out and stain the pool. Do you have a well? I would just be a good idea to find out where the metals came from in the first place. Don't worry about the double post, one of the moderators will probably get rid of it;)

Simmons99
09-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Also have your water tested for iron and copper.

jereece
09-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Hi. After having low alkalinity and low PH for quite awhile, we fixed the alkalinity problem and have got the ph to normal levels. However, after running the filter we have green water and what looks to be orange residue all over the pool's sides and bottom. I am guessing this is corrosion particles cleaning out of the filter(?). It is kind of hard to get off. Does anyone know what we should do? Should we drain the pool and clean it with bleach? Should we use a product like "Metal Out" to help clean it up? We've already flushed the filter. We have a fiberglass pool. Any advice would be most welcome! Thank you.

Why is low alkalinity a problem? I run my alkalinity around 50 and keep pH around 7.5. I only have to adjust pH every 2 weeks. When I use to run higher alkalinity I had bad pH problems.

Jim

duraleigh
09-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Why is low alkalinity a problem? I run my alkalinity around 50 and keep pH around 7.5. I only have to adjust pH every 2 weeks. When I use to run higher alkalinity I had bad pH problems.

Jim,

Alk around 80-120 is a nice general range. It can best be described as a buffer to prevent pH from moving too quickly. I don't doubt your success at 50, but for most pools, I would consider that a little too low.