PDA

View Full Version : wiring for a heat pump(new IG pool)question

freddyttt
09-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Im getting closer to to the big dig day and am thinking about different forms of heat.

15.6x28.6 VL IG pool(new jersey full sun).

problem is,although i can't afford it now measures must be taken now because the pool and the deck will block anything from being run underground later-

im leaning toward a heat pump for my heat.

what type of wiring do I have to do for hookup at a later date???will the wiring for my filter and pump be safishant or do i need another run?

thanks-

Poconos
09-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Freddy,
Can't suggest specifics but on a new dig I would bury anything and everything that you could possibly need in the future. Even in your wildest imagination. Bury a couple large conduits so you can fish wires, extra pipes, whatever you think. Remember....always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. A general comment about life and behavior in general. Lot cheaper when you do it upfront.
Al

Tomcat
09-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Most likely, your subpanel will not be sufficient for a later addition of a heat pump, unless you specify it now. The electricians (or you) will just run heavier gauge wire to the sub panel and make sure the subpanel is of sufficient capacity for the amps when it comes time to hook up the heat pump. The breaker in your main will also have to be sized up accordingly.

Poolsean
09-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Most heat pumps will be 220 volts and not more than 60 amps of service for their largest heat pump. Usually this will be #6 AWG. If you research the various manufacturers, you'll be able to tell how much service you need.
I can tell you that the Aqua Cal H155 (123,000 btus) requires 40 amp service due to the efficiency.

Spensar
09-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Bury a couple large conduits so you can fish wires, extra pipes, whatever you think.

Advice worth repeating. Plastic electic conduit is dirt cheap. Run a cheap non-biodgradable string or small rope through it ahead of time too. I'd be sure to run one to the opposite side of the pool in case you end up wanting to put some lighting, change hut, or whatever at some time. This saves a huge headache later on.

MarkC
09-08-2006, 12:01 PM
We did the same thing you did. I wanted a heat pump but did not have the cash to put it in initially. We had the pool equipment slab made big enough to put in the heatpump. We also ran a intermatic 100amp sub panel out to the pool.