PDA

View Full Version : I'm Back!

CarlD
09-03-2006, 04:30 PM
For those of you who have wondered why I haven't been posting, I've been away on vacation--I haven't left the PoolForum or anything like that. But when you're away it's kind of expensive to use the Internet much (where we were), so I haven't really been following.

Of course, my fellow mods were clued in. Since the Internet is a public place, it's not wise to announce you'll be away--you just don't post.

Anyway, we had a great time and while we love to come home, we dread going back to work and school!

It will take me awhile to figure out what was going on.

My vacation plan for pool care seems to have worked well--while I haven't tested the water it's clear and no algae has grown. I had my in-laws simply dump a gallon of bleach in every other day--and it looks fine!

doggie
09-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi Carl. I'm doggie. Nice to meet you. Welcome back. :)

tenax
09-03-2006, 07:12 PM
we all chipped in and bought you and swg while you were away, carl!

okay..we discussed it, but there wasn't much sympathy for someone holidaying in mexico on a white sand beach:)

CarlD
09-03-2006, 08:04 PM
we all chipped in and bought you and swg while you were away, carl!

okay..we discussed it, but there wasn't much sympathy for someone holidaying in mexico on a white sand beach:)

How about Italy-- touring Sicily, Naples, Rome and Florence? Even got pics at the Leaning Tower of Pisa...:D

Nah, I guess not much sympathy there either....;)

CoffeeBean
09-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Did you really go to Italy? My MIL and BIL still live in Napoli. My hubby grew up there. I love Italy but Naples is soooo dirty. Did you get to Capri or Sorrento?

CoffeeBean

tenax
09-04-2006, 11:01 PM
italy..wow..my wife would hate to hear that:) good on ya..and no..zero sympathy now:)

CarlD
09-05-2006, 07:09 AM
We came into Naples but went to Pompei one day and Herculaneum the other.

We also went into Rome, Messina, Florence and Pisa (yes, the tower really leans). Here's a shot I took on Friday. You can see someone at the rail by the bells. If you are crazy and fearless you can climb to the VERY top above the bells. I got as far as the rail around the bells. The whole site is much more beautiful than we expected--or than it used to be, and they are nearly finished cleaning the tower so it's white, not dark soot. They've stabilized it so it's safe. The romanesque cathedral it's part of also leans, though not as dramatically. People don't realize this is a cathedral's bell tower--and the bells still ring. It was old when Galileo climbed it, and the chandelier in the cathedral is supposedly the one he saw swinging and timed to begin his investigations into the laws of Gravity.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dashmanc/pool/LeaningTower1.jpg

It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it--visit all these amazing places!

Simmons99
09-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Wow - how exciting! I am waiting until the kids are out of the house to do the Europe tour - it's much more afforable when you only have to pay for 2 vs. 4.

CarlD
09-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Wow - how exciting! I am waiting until the kids are out of the house to do the Europe tour - it's much more afforable when you only have to pay for 2 vs. 4.

True, but they'll never forget climbing the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the Coloseum, or the first time they saw Michaelangelo's David, the Sistine Chapel, The Pieta, or the Mona Lisa.

waste
09-24-2006, 11:28 AM
As this is OTGI, here's a link to an 'article' on it by Cecil Adams (parts of it could also apply in Pool Construction...)
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_002.html
The rest of the site and all his "Straight Dope" books are worth the investment in time or money (this guy's a hoot! & seems to know everything)