PDA

View Full Version : New Pool how much chemicals??? (BBB)

SissyH
09-03-2006, 08:37 AM
:confused: Hi we've just filled our Pool with well water (13.5 hours).
16 x 28 4' high. I have not added anything yet. I've tested the water and
here are the results
ph 7.6
CL 0.6 -
BR 1.3 -
Stabilizer 0
Alkalinity 40 -

I want to use the BBB method! Please advise how and how much I have to add. thank you so much.

Sissy in GA

duraleigh
09-03-2006, 10:01 AM
I'll help you get started.

1. ASAP, put in 4 lbs of stabilizer....it'll help you hold the chlorine.

2. After the Sun is off the pool this afternoon, put in one large jug (1.42 gal) of unscented 6% Clorox. That should get you to about 7ppm but it will not last because the Sun will eat it up tomorrow AM. Plan on adding enough to keep your chlorine level between 3-7ppm constantly.

3. Read every sticky on the forum. It'll tell you what you need to know about your pool water.

4. Everything else is okay for now. You'll have more questions as you read the stickies but focus on keeping your chlorine level 3-7ppm and get that stabilizer in there......it'll take a few days to be effective. 'Til it does, you'll probably be consuming a large jug of bleach daily. Disregard you Br test results.

SissyH
09-03-2006, 02:19 PM
thanks for the Info.
4 lbs of stabilizer?????????? I have 3" tablets for one of those floaters
how many do I need????? oh and do I have to have the pump running while adding the bleach????? (My pump is set for 6 hours during the night from 12:00 AM to 6:00 AM).

thanks again Sissy :)

Watermom
09-03-2006, 05:15 PM
When he recommended adding 4 lbs. of stabilizer, he meant buying some cya (cyanuric acid, also called stabilizer) and just adding it directly to your skimmer while the pump is running. It dissolves slowly in your filter, so you'll need to be patient and give it a week before rechecking your stabilizer level or backwashing your filter. The trichlor tabs do contain stabilizer, but since you have a stabilizer reading of 0, it will take awhile before the tabs build it up. I don't use the tabs, instead just add some cya.

Yes to having the pump running when adding the bleach.

SissyH
09-03-2006, 06:32 PM
alright I started pump and added unscented 6% Bleach 1gal. and now
my what was absolutely crystal clear water is turning green HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Sissy

Watermom
09-03-2006, 07:18 PM
IF you filled from a well, you might have metals in your water. Take a sample to a reputable pool store and have them test it for metals.

SissyH
09-03-2006, 07:26 PM
metals?????????? what kind of metals and if so what then?????????
I'll have green water?????????? does it hurt anything???? what can I do????:confused:

Sissy

SissyH
09-03-2006, 07:29 PM
..........which makes me think.......wejust bought the house 3 months ago and had a full blown watertest done. What do I have to look for????

Sissy

Simmons99
09-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Have them test for metals (copper and iron) - if they are present, then purchase a metal sequesterant - you can pick this up at a pool store - don't buy anything else from them. Follow the directions on the back of the bottle - better to add to much than add too little.

mbar
09-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Don't get scared:) The green water is the high chlorine combining with a ph of 7.6 to make the metals in the water "stain the water". The metal sequesterer will bind with the metals and keep it from coloring the water. Having a well will probably mean that you will have to keep metal sequesterer in your water at all times. It is not a problem. You can read over some of the posts in the stains and metals forum. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new pool:)