PDA

View Full Version : Muriatic Acid Storage/Dispenser

SJohnson
04-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Anyone know of a good way to dispense muriatic acid? I was thinking about adapting one of those pesticide/weed killer type pump sprayers, with the long handle from which you "squirt" the pesticide. I would test it with water first and try to calibrate it in such a way that say, one pump would be around a cup or quart of liquid. This way you could just point the tip just above the water or just below the surface of the water and fire away with the acid from a safe distance. They sell these things to hold anywhere from 1 - 4 gallons or so . . . Anyone see any potential problems with something like this??? I was just trying to find an easier/safer way to get the acid into the pool . . .

Thanks all!!

SJohnson

Madty
04-17-2006, 06:02 PM
I think that would take a long time to disburse. Also it will be much finer coming out. With any wind, you could get burned, literally. Just pour from botlle very slow near the water, over a jet to help circulate. just my .02

SJohnson
04-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah, the small amounts would take a while if you had to add allot at once, there's gotta be a way around that though, adjusting the dispenser valve perhaps. If you place the tip in the water, there shouldn't be any danger of splashing or wind problems though . . . thanks for the response. If you had a 2 gallon dispenser, you could just fill it up then store and dispense from it, just seems easier . . . maybe I'm too careful or something, getting the gloves on and goggles, I just dislike the stuff and would like a safer/easier way of adding acid . . . I'm just kicking around the ideas right now . . . Wondering if anyone would think it's dangerous to have that stuff under pressure, albeit very little pressure . . . I just don't know enough about chemistry to feel save tinkering with this stuff.

-SJohnson

waterbear
04-17-2006, 07:58 PM
DON"T TRY IT! HCl (muriatic acid, hydrochloric acid---same thing) gives off fumes of hydrogen chloride gas which is highly reactive. That is what is so irritating about it when you smell it. I would not trust it in a pressurized system that was NOT designed for corrosive chemicals. Also if you tried to apply it under the surface of the water and there a a little back pressure that sucked some water back into the unit it could cause a VERY serious reaction and cause the unit to explode! This is why you ALWAYS add acid to water and NOT the other way around. If you are that afraid of HCl then I would suggest that you use dry acid (sodium bisulfate). It is easier to work with and a bit safer. Once you get over your fear of handling HCl it is really easy to work with. Just keep the jug at arms length and hold it close to the water surface and slowly poor it into the stream of the return so it mixes and doesn't sit in one spot, then brush your pool to disperse it better. Just poor in a shot or 2, wait about 15 to 30 minutes, test your pH and see if you are in the ballpark. Start with too little at first and soon you will be able to eyeball the perfect amount every time with just a little practice.

SJohnson
04-17-2006, 09:40 PM
That's what I'm looking for, thanks waterbear! I'm fine with just pouring it in, but thought there might be a better way . . .

-SJohnson

KurtV
04-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Another problem with acid in a pump sprayer, as if waterbear's exploding tank wasn't enough disincentive, is that it will eat the metal parts of the sprayer (though you may be able to find one that's 100% plastic).

mwsmith2
04-17-2006, 10:17 PM
I have a quart pitcher from the New Branfels Oktoberfest that I've calibrated with ounce markings. I just fill to a mark, and walk around the pool, dribbling it in.

And yeah, pressurized HCl, not a good idea.

Michael

SJohnson
04-18-2006, 02:23 AM
I think that may be what I'm after here, ultimately. A way to measure acid. Do most of you just eyeball it? Or do you first transfer it to a measuring container of some kind??

Thanks all, I was very close to buying one of those pumps today, but actually said to myself out loud, "better run this by everyone on the forum" . . . Chalk up another avoided chemical explosion for the fine folks at the PoolForum!! I'm sure my wife is grateful, or maybe not, who knows . . .

-SJohnson

waterbear
04-18-2006, 02:41 AM
I think that may be what I'm after here, ultimately. A way to measure acid. Do most of you just eyeball it? Or do you first transfer it to a measuring container of some kind??

Thanks all, I was very close to buying one of those pumps today, but actually said to myself out loud, "better run this by everyone on the forum" . . . Chalk up another avoided chemical explosion for the fine folks at the PoolForum!! I'm sure my wife is grateful, or maybe not, who knows . . .

-SJohnson
I just eyeball and put in just alittle at a time and then test. If I need more I add it and test again. with practice you get to know just how much you need to put in.

JohnT
04-18-2006, 07:23 AM
Curious if anybody does it my way. I have a 4 gallon bucket that I use for the acid. I dip it about 2/3 full from the pool, and pour the acid in there, then pour the diluted acid in the pool. Usually a cup or so at a time.

After getting acid blown back on my leg while trickling it in (an unplanned swim fixed it), I decided to do it differently.

aylad
04-18-2006, 08:11 AM

-SJohnson
I have a plasic measuring cup with calibrated markings that is dedicated to pool use, and I use it for the acid. I generally put the cup on top of my skimmer cover when pouring into is from a jug so if it spills I can toss the skimmer cover in the pool to rinse it off.

Janet