PDA

View Full Version : Should I go it alone?

csevel
04-17-2006, 05:38 PM
:confused: Got a price from an installer to put up the pool which is being delivered tomorrow. Does $700 or $800 sound high for a one day job? The site has been excavated and leveled and the sand is there. I even purchased my own patio blocks for base support. I just am wondering after all I've read..(like 3 installation manuals) whether my husband and a few friends couldn't get this thing up on their own? Is it really that difficult to put up an above ground? geesh..:confused:

NWMNMom
04-17-2006, 06:50 PM
We are going to do it ourselves with my hubby, myself, our two teenagers and a nephew (adult). A weekend, some barbeque and a blender full of Pina Colada when we are done! (rum free for the kids)

We figure once we have the site level, the patio blocks level, then following the instructions we should be able to do this. It might be hard work, but hardly rocket science. $700 buys a lot of nice new goodies to go with the pool.

molly
04-17-2006, 07:35 PM
my husband, me, and 2 friends got ours put up in about 8 hours. it was hard work, but worth it in the long run. we have a really nice pool!!!

hrsdennis
04-17-2006, 07:39 PM
csevel, What size and model are you going to install? Maybe I could be of some help.

Dennis

csevel
04-17-2006, 08:33 PM
It's an 18' round Artesian (Echol Canyon)....54" deep.

NWMNMom
04-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Check out the pictures fhcaputo put up on the site - They are GREAT for showing a step by step on a round pool.

vinnygnj
04-17-2006, 08:52 PM
My installers came with 3 people and they were pretty efficient. One of the things they used were "S" hooks attached to tent stakes. They put the bottom track together, started the pool where the seam is inside an upright, put the wall into the bottom track and kept it upright with the "S" hooks and stakes. I don't remember how many they had (maybe 12 or more) but it kept the wall up as they did their thing. Also, I think they used duct tape to cover the screw heads to keep them from wearing the liner.

If you're talking totally by yourself I think it may be a bit much but with a few people, you should be OK.

hrsdennis
04-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Hi, Those prices do sound a lttle steep for that size pool. I am still at around 300.00. But I can do several a day so it's fair to me.

Use the contact form on my site if you have any trouble at all. I can walk you through anything. Best of luck, Dennis

kevkline
04-18-2006, 04:44 AM
I just bought a 15x30 oval above ground and was planning on installing it myself until I decided to buy a bottom drain system which is a little more than I wanted to tackle. The last guy that came out quoted me $1200 just for the pool, $25 for the light, $150 for the bottom drain system and $300 for the site excavation.......

MaxxFusion
04-18-2006, 07:39 AM
:confused: Got a price from an installer to put up the pool which is being delivered tomorrow. Does $700 or $800 sound high for a one day job? The site has been excavated and leveled and the sand is there. I even purchased my own patio blocks for base support. I just am wondering after all I've read..(like 3 installation manuals) whether my husband and a few friends couldn't get this thing up on their own? Is it really that difficult to put up an above ground? geesh..:confused:

Wow $800 is very high I think. The hardest part is leveling the ground. If thats already done its very easy to put the pool up. Last August me and my brother in law put up both of our pools with the help of a guy that does it on the side. Now looking back it was relatively easy to do aside from leveling. That took the most time.

The walls went up pretty fast with 3 of us. We used little clips we got from Home Depot and mason string to support the walls on the outside and used shovels on the inside.

matt4x4
04-18-2006, 08:07 AM
An 18 foot round pool should be very simple to install, I did my 30 foot round, the hardest part was the wall since it's one piece and weighed about 400 lbs, you wall might weigh 150-200 and that will be the toughest part since your site is allready level. - all I can say is spend the 800 on pool stuff or a the beginnings of a deck beside the pool - that way you won't regret it.
This will be a simple job if you're willing to sweat a bit for a day.

kevincad
04-18-2006, 01:50 PM
We are going to do it ourselves with my hubby, myself, our two teenagers and a nephew (adult). A weekend, some barbeque and a blender full of Pina Colada when we are done! (rum free for the kids)

We figure once we have the site level, the patio blocks level, then following the instructions we should be able to do this. It might be hard work, but hardly rocket science. $700 buys a lot of nice new goodies to go with the pool.
Free rum for the kids?!! Just kidding! I did my above ground pool by myself, with help from a friend once in awhile. I could have used more help with the liner, though.

gwrace1
04-18-2006, 04:39 PM
It's hard work and very time consuming. Because of my limited free time we decided to have the yard leveled and pool installed by a contractor. We had an Artesian Echo Canyon Ultra 2 33' Round pool installed. That was in mid March of this year. It took them 3 days to complete and there were 3 of them working. To save money I did the trenching, ran the conduit/electrical, plumbing and landscaping. It was about 150' of electrical from the house to the pool into a storage shed where I installed a sub-panel, timer, Aquarite, pump and filter. I also hard plumbed all PVC piping underground from the pool to the storage shed and ran two return lines.
Last week we installed a deck and fence kit around the pool. We plan to finish up the last of the landscaping this week.

After a month's worth of work the first swim for the kids was this week.

The moral to this story is the pool is just the beginning. Be prepared for all the follow-up work that is required.

rbutera
04-24-2006, 11:23 PM
I would hire someone if significant grading is required.

We have a 15x30, and the install took a long day with 3 guys.

This included a lot of grading beyond what the landscapers had done. The fact that he had a small dozer on hand and a dump truck on call for dirt if necessary (which I paid the dump truck driver directly for) are the kind of things that would be hard yourself. It is amazling how a dump truck full of dirt spread out over a 15x30 area becomes ... only a few inches.

They used a spinning laser level (like drywall contractors do) to check the levelness around the whole pool. I'm pretty anal about such things, and I was impressed.

After watching them, I realized I could do this myself, but the extra time and frustration, especially since grading was necessary, made me happy I did not.

If I had a round pool and a flat backyard with easy access, I'd probably do it myself. But I have neither ...

NWMNMom
04-24-2006, 11:54 PM
This included a lot of grading beyond what the landscapers had done. The fact that he had a small dozer on hand and a dump truck on call for dirt if necessary (which I paid the dump truck driver directly for) are the kind of things that would be hard yourself. It is amazling how a dump truck full of dirt spread out over a 15x30 area becomes ... only a few inches.

You added fill? What type did you add? Did you have it compacted then before installing the pool? I have been told by a pool installer guy that pouring a slab is our only alternative ($4,000 for product and labor we can't afford) or that we will have problems when adding fill because it will NEVER be solid enough no mater what to hold pool wall weight, but we can't dig or risk no drainage as we have such a high water table. On the other hand, we have been advised by other people to use Class 13 gravel/fill (ND) or Class 5 gravel/fill (MN) - both of those products have fractured gravel/rock, black dirt and high clay content for compaction and high friction value (I'm quoting the sand and gravel guys) or recycled ground concrete (wondering if that would be too abrasive?) Don't know what the gravel products are called in other states. Did you use any of these products? Appreciate any answers you could give, thanks.

CarlD
04-25-2006, 09:43 AM
You added fill? What type did you add? Did you have it compacted then before installing the pool? I have been told by a pool installer guy that pouring a slab is our only alternative ($4,000 for product and labor we can't afford) or that we will have problems when adding fill because it will NEVER be solid enough no mater what to hold pool wall weight, but we can't dig or risk no drainage as we have such a high water table. On the other hand, we have been advised by other people to use Class 13 gravel/fill (ND) or Class 5 gravel/fill (MN) - both of those products have fractured gravel/rock, black dirt and high clay content for compaction and high friction value (I'm quoting the sand and gravel guys) or recycled ground concrete (wondering if that would be too abrasive?) Don't know what the gravel products are called in other states. Did you use any of these products? Appreciate any answers you could give, thanks.

That's to make HIS life easier and relieve HIM of liability. There is no reason to use concrete if you have a properly prepared site. However, if he's uncomfortable installing on fill and sand, it means he either doesn't know how to do it, or is lousy at it. Find someone who knows how to use sand...Been there, done that too.:mad: