PDA

View Full Version : Storing Chlorine

ePoolUser
09-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Hi,
All the stores seem to be clearing out their pool supplies now. Anyone buying tabs or pucks or other chemicals now at sales prices and keeping them until next year?

I know this forum puts liquid bleach first, but I travel a lot and need the pucks for long weekends. Any idea if they last from now through next summer?

tenax
09-02-2006, 02:28 PM
keep them in a sealed plastic bag..or if they have tubes like the ones i have (plastic with caps) keep them in those, make sure the bucket is sealed..they will keep fine. put them in a cool, dry place like a basement. i've noticed no decrease in effectiveness using pucks saved from a previous season.

CarlD
09-03-2006, 04:24 PM
I would NOT store chlorine in a basement--better a garage with air flow.

It's true that it's best to store chlorine in a cool, dark, dry place, but your basement isn't it. If chlorine gas builds up, it's a deadly poison--it was the first poison gas used in WWI. It's very important that air can flow. I have not had any problem storing chlorine in my shed over the winter.

waste
09-03-2006, 07:38 PM
ePU, welcome to the forum! It's ok to keep the solid forms of chlorine from fall to spring, however the issues Carl mentioned are REAL. The containers they are in are NOT airtight and some of the cl gas WILL leak out! Even if the gas build up doesn't reach a leathal level, clorine gasses will oxidise any metal in the area ( I see a lot of oxidation in pool sheds that the homeowners keep their pool equipment and pucks in - often the motor will 'freeze up' and require replacing). My best advice is to get an appropriatly sized plastic storage bin and keep the chlorine in that, someplace safe outside.
Glad you were able to save some money on the chems you'll use next year, but be sure to store them in a safe way and place! - Waste

macher
09-08-2006, 11:29 AM
I have a question about storing chlorine in a shed over the winter... is it ok for it to freeze?

What about other chemicals, Algaecide, pucks, powder ph booster, etc?

We get a real winter here up in NS. This will be my first winter closing up my pool.

Cheers,

Spensar
09-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Froze cal-hypo, pucks, all powder/granualar products in years gone by, and they were good in the spring. I'd bring liquids indoors and stash them on a basement shelf somewhere.

DerekM
09-10-2006, 04:40 PM
I leave all powders and pucks outside in my Rubbermaid storage shed, and bring the liquids (algaecide, liquid bleach, vinyl cleaners) into the house. The pump is also brought into the house. I have never noticed any product degradation from the outside storage.

- Derek M
PEI Canada