PDA

View Full Version : Pill Bugs

sleater
08-30-2006, 09:35 PM
this year is only the second year we've had the pool
last year, i assume because the install was fresh, we didn't have "the problem"
this year, every day, we have somewhere between 50-75 pill bugs (the ones that roll into a ball when we "bug" them) in the bottom of the pool every morning.

surfed the internet a bit and found no solution that might make sense

any ideas on controlling these critters?

thanks!

GHM
08-31-2006, 07:52 AM
Hi
I'm in Ontario too and everone I know with a pool have noticed the same problem with these bugs. My dad gets them soo bad it clogs his skimmer.

Dr. Spike
08-31-2006, 07:17 PM
Ah yes, the armadillo-like arthropod / isopod. :) I have them too. I have tons of them in the rocks near my deck. I get about 10-20 a day that think they want to take a swim.

I know some pesticides are labeled to kill them. If you search some of the organic gardening web sites you might find some other ways to control them. I can't speak for any of the methods because I don't worry about them, I just vacuum or skim them out.

Simmons99
08-31-2006, 08:09 PM
I have heard that DE power actually harms them by cutting through their outsides and allowing infection to kill them. Try sprinkling around the pool - they have to crawl in right?

frankief
05-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Who'd a thunk they would be a nuisance?

Here in Houston, they are given the name of "Rolley-Polleys"

go figure.

Hope ya get rid of them...

joliecharlie
05-21-2007, 08:03 PM
In the past, we have sprinkled the perimeter of the pool with Sevin dust ...deters (and kills)alot of little bugs and stuff. We also sprinkle the perimeter of our home(foundation) to keep the bugs out. Sevin is not harmful to our 4 legged children, we don't have 2 legged children so I don't know about using it around them.

This year I think we will also try the DE since we will have plenty, the smallest bag I can find is 20lbs and at 1 cup in skimmer rate it will take a while to get rid of it!!!