PDA

View Full Version : DE leaking into pool

jsaldi
08-30-2006, 03:52 PM
After my most recent backflushing, I noticed this problem. Right after the pump comes on, DE leaks out through the jets. As soon as the initial bubbling of water stops, so does the DE leakage. The pool is IG gunite. Any ideas as to the cause?

waste
08-31-2006, 07:52 PM
After my most recent backflushing, I noticed this problem. Right after the pump comes on, DE leaks out through the jets. As soon as the initial bubbling of water stops, so does the DE leakage. The pool is IG gunite. Any ideas as to the cause?
Welcome to the forum! I have a couple of ideas, but would like for you to answer some questions before I get too far off base on the probable cause.
Does it happen before you add new DE to the filter or while you're adding it? What size (HP) is the pump, and what size (sq ft) is the filter (if it's Hayward - you can just give me the model #s) and do you have a multiport? How much DE do you add after each backwash (and how much is recommended for the unit)? Also, how do you measure the DE that you add? One more thing, what is your backwash procedure, I've seen a few different ones recommended. The answers to these should give us a place to start.
Sorry that I didn't see this 'til now, I'm about to log off and may not get back to the forum for a couple of days, however I've run into the same problem countless times and am certain I can help you to correct it. :) - Waste

jsaldi
09-02-2006, 02:08 PM
It happens right after the pump comes on in the morning, but stops after the water quits bubbling from the jets. It started doing this daily after my most recent backwashing.

The pump is 2 hp, the filter is Anthony "Apollo" model # VA 52-2, 52 sq ft.
Don't know if it is a multi port.

We add 15 one lb coffee cans which is what is reccommended, after backflushing.
Backflush procedure is: With pump on, hook up hose to backflush valve, then open valve till water runs clear, then close valve and repeat.
The seal on the pressure relief valve is broken so it does leak a little. I have a new one coming, so maybe that will fix the problem.

Jakebear
09-02-2006, 10:36 PM
I have a Hayward Perflex DE filter --- a small "Puff" of DE after bumping and pump start is normal, and happens because the fingers are not completely coated with the filter media.

I'm not familiar with the Apollo filter but I think the principals are the same.

jsaldi
09-03-2006, 12:19 PM
This is way more than a "puff" and it never did it before in the past 6 years we have lived here.